Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Bones Front end maintenance

Old 06-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Budmiester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cross Bones Front end maintenance

Hey Guys,
Gotta question about the maintenance on the springer front end. Did the search and didn't find anything that really answered my concerns. The dealership I bought it from told me the 500 mile wasn't needed, but have read some post stating otherwise for springers. (Deal wants $320, a week after I buy it?????) I will get the maintenance manuals to do alot of work myself, (how will that affect my warranty ?) what special tools are needed to work a springer, and what should I be looking out for as signs of trouble? Besides a dealer that wants $320 a week after I freakin buy it. BTW, LOVE my Bones!!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Thanks.

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Budmiester

[IMG]local://upfiles/63163/250CA3EBC0B84541A8A1E633373EC02A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
JimiB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cross Bones Front end maintenance

Bud, I really like those pipes you put on there.&nbsp\\; What are they and how much did they cost?&nbsp\\; Also, do you have any more pics of your bike with those pipes on her?&nbsp\\; I am getting my X-Bones next week and want to get an idea of what to put on pipe wise.&nbsp\\;
Thanks&nbsp\\;

Old 06-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Budmiester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JimiB&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

The pipes are Vance and Hines True Duals with Fish Tail ends. I got the whole package from the dealer, re-tuned chip with hi-flow air cleaner. Ran me $1550. I didn't ride it before the changes, so I can't say how it performed before. It sure is sweeeeeeet after though.Glad you like it and hope&nbsp\\; it gives you some help and ideas. Here's some more pix.

Bud

[IMG]local://upfiles/63163/3B71FE0932C04C0E805B9CC2F08DC7A8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/63163/BA5BED5EFC374123AF8CAFA23B70FD2D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/63163/565BB36F10E6407A8770FE36981E6F49.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 PM
nitelife
6th Gear

My salesman said 500 miles on the front end.&nbsp\\; Manager said 1000 miles before any service.&nbsp\\; Went to another dealer today and they said 1000 miles.&nbsp\\; They said the older springers use to be 500 miles but not the new ones.&nbsp\\; THat is all I can tell you.&nbsp\\; Don't have my service manual yet.&nbsp\\; I would be interested to hear what others have to say....

Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

Why would you listen to your salesman and not go by the owners manual.&nbsp\\; Half of those salesmen don't know anything about Springers and quote the service interval for the other models.&nbsp\\; The owners manual is clear that the Springer requires maintenance at 500 miles.&nbsp\\; I had the dealer perform the first service at 500 miles on the XBones since I did not have the manual yet and didn't have a clear understanding of the Spring front end service.&nbsp\\; I do now and will do my own service in the future as I have on all my bikes.&nbsp\\; The 500 miler took 2.3 hours and costed $250 + taxes.&nbsp\\; I also had them quote just doing the front end service and me waiting until 1000 to do the other required things and they quoted 1 hour labor.&nbsp\\; What is required is adjustment of the lower rocker bearing which requires the front fender and tire to be removed.&nbsp\\; Then the lower rocker bearing is torqued and verified to not exceed a certain value of torque to rotate it thru a 180 degree arc.&nbsp\\; Then reassemble everything.&nbsp\\; Also the head is filled with grease since the factory only lubes the bearing and does not fill the head.&nbsp\\; The fall out is also checked and the head bearings adjusted if required.&nbsp\\; If you don't have the right tools the lower rocker bearing would be difficult to do.&nbsp\\; There is a training video&nbsp\\;for the Heritage Springer that I&nbsp\\;have&nbsp\\;that shows step by step how to do the front end adjustments, but the same would apply for the XBones.&nbsp\\; I have asked on several HD Tech groups and HD techs online all highly recommend at least having the lower rocker bearing adjusted at the 500 miler.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-05-2008, 07:19 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

man. tn...you need to take a road trip to fla, and bring your tools so that you can check to see itf the stealer did my springer service or just changed the oil....lol

Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 PM
panamoncreel
Tourer

My dealer's quote for 10k service on the Springer front-end is 6 hours.&nbsp\\; Enjoy!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Xbones girl
5th Gear

Just picked my xbones up on Monday, sales person and the&nbsp\\;mechanic both&nbsp\\;said bring her in for the first service anywhere between 500-1000 miles, I also do my own work, They said it would not void the warranty so long as I document what I do (keep reciepts for the oil &amp\\; filter etc.)and when (milage) I do it. hope this helps.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM
jeeplite
Intermediate

&nbsp\\;
[blockquote]
These service prices and schedules seem to be all over the place, my Springer Classic per the manual requires a front end check at 500 miles and was done with the 1000 service (per dealer suggestion) at 500 miles. Cost was $268 for complete service with syn-3 in all three holes. Returned for the 2500 mile front end service it was $37 , done in less than an hr. Cowboy Harley in South Austin,Tx.....[/blockquote]

Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

SE, just get one of those Lamo mechanics to check it out &nbsp\\; A Springer front end should be a piece of cake compared to the Lamo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cross Bones Front end maintenance