Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking About An Open Primary on My Fatboy

Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Profyrfyter
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About An Open Primary on My Fatboy

Hello all,
&nbsp\\;
I'm still relatively new to the world of Harley but I'm already talking with my wifes cousin Steve Vandemon about laying down a custom paint job on my 2004 Fatboy (you can see some of his work at vandemon.com), which then leads me into thinking that if I'm going to get a paint job done by such a talented painter that I will naturally have to make the entire bike an eye catcher.&nbsp\\; I'm tossing around the idea of putting a 3" open primary drive on it but I'm not to familiar with them.&nbsp\\; Is there one out there that will allow me to continue using the belt style final drive or do they all require a chain final drive?&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for your time!
&nbsp\\;
Dave

Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 PM
88tail
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking About An Open Primary on My Fatboy

You can run a belt final drive.&nbsp\\; I had a rigid custom with a 3" open and a final belt setup.&nbsp\\; They look cool, but are noiser than a closed unit, and&nbsp\\;your jeans will get chewed&nbsp\\;up so you gotta be careful&nbsp\\; Also im not sure if its a direct swap, as far as just changing the primary, without messing with your clutch, or other parts&nbsp\\; IMO, i would just keep the stock one and mabye just go with a polished cover inner and outer (i think the 04 fatboy has a polished outer cover stock, Kuryakyn sells a cool inner pirmary cover that dosent require the removal of the primary to install.&nbsp\\; It looks really cool.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Thinking About An Open Primary on My Fatboy

88tail, like this?