Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Tune or Not To?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:06 AM
wayfarer696
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Tune or Not To?

Hey all, I just bought my first harley. its an '02 heritage classic, injected. when i bought it, it was completely stock. I've always liked the sound and look of the stock exhuast, with baffles removed of course. So right of the bat, i took em out, and bought a K n N air filter for it. I definately gained throttle response, and am pretty satisfied with the sound. Of course there is some popping and rare cracks in decel. but nothing that bothers me really. kinda like it. My question is, woulkd it be in best interest to bringit in to be dyno'd and tuned?&nbsp\\; And what are the benifits/consiquences of taking it in or not? and if i do bring it in, am i gonna have to buy an aftermarket ecm&gt\\; like a power commander? or is the stock ecm programmable? Another question is when i replaced the stock air filter with the K n N, i noticed two short hoses in the air cleaner housing, which looked like they brought fresh air into something, is these going to the exhaust headers, similar to a pair valve set-up like my old metric?&nbsp\\; thanks for any tips ya can share with me!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: To Tune or Not To?

since you changed both intake and exhaust you're now running very lean.
you need to buy some kind of fuel management device, wether it's a PCIII, fuel pak or SERT.

there is no need for dyno tuning unless you want to try and squeeze every bit of power out of it, the base maps in the SERT or PCIII would be fine.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:38 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Deuce is right, you are going to have to do something or risk damaging the engine from the lean mixture.
Those 2 lines are the breather tubes and should not be plugged or fooled with. Plugging them will cause the pressures to build up until a&nbsp\\;gasket or&nbsp\\;seal fails.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As others have commented. Get your ride richened up before you melt a piston, or two.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 AM
mjmangus
Tourer

If you want to continue to ride, re-instal the stock breather system.&nbsp\\; But, most definitely get a remap or powercommander.&nbsp\\; The stock fuel management system can handle the exhaust mod but will run real lean, as said by others, with the new intake system.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 AM
ndnhog
Cruiser

Yup just like the others have said. My shop said I could put slip on's on my bike without the tune and it would run lean but would be okay but not to change the intake or I'd need to tune it.