Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HD questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:18 AM
James.Suttle
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HD questions

Morning everyone.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I have a few questions when y’all have time. &nbsp\\;I have been on dirt bikes for the past 25+ years. &nbsp\\;I am finally making the move over to the street.&nbsp\\; I will be buying a Rocker-C towards the end of this year and I am not sure what all I need to do. &nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Is there a Safety class that is mandatory?&nbsp\\; Is there a class to help with insurance? &nbsp\\;Where do I go to register/attend?&nbsp\\; What insurance do y’all recommend?&nbsp\\; Do I need to borrow someone’s bike to take my Drivers License test prior to the purchase? &nbsp\\;What HD shops are recommended?&nbsp\\; I am in SoCal and can drive just about anywhere from LA to San Diego to Vegas. &nbsp\\;I was planning on going to Las Vegas to make the purchase (No specific reason other than I like Vegas).&nbsp\\; Anything else you can think of (or that I forgot to ask) would be greatly appreciated.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks in advance,
&nbsp\\;
James S.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:30 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: New HD questions

Probably should check with Cal&nbsp\\;MV to see what they require.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; NJ requires you to pass a written test.&nbsp\\; You then get a permit allowing you to operate a mc while with another licensed rider on his own bike.&nbsp\\; Then you take the&nbsp\\;riding test on your own bike.&nbsp\\; After that&nbsp\\;you get your license.
&nbsp\\;
When I got my street bike in October,&nbsp\\; I didn't have a small bike to practice on or to take the test with.&nbsp\\; So I took a local MSF course ($250) which&nbsp\\;was 3 days&nbsp\\;long.&nbsp\\; The course was very well designed and I learned alot.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;You get to use their&nbsp\\;bikes which in my case was a 250 Suzuki.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;If you successfully complete the course you get you license.&nbsp\\; No state test needed.&nbsp\\; In NJ you don't get an insurance discount unless you take the experienced rider course (ERC).&nbsp\\; Then it's&nbsp\\;5% off&nbsp\\;I believe.
&nbsp\\;
The MSF course isn't just for new riders which I was.&nbsp\\;Only rode&nbsp\\;dirt bikes 30 years ago. &nbsp\\;We had people in our class that had been riding for years and they all said they learned something.&nbsp\\; I'm sure you will too.
&nbsp\\;
My wife starts her class tomorrow.&nbsp\\; She's been riding with a permit for about a month.
&nbsp\\;
Almost forgot.&nbsp\\; HD offers their own version of the MSF course which is sometimes included in the purchase of your bike.&nbsp\\; You may want to check that out.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

I live in Nor Cal and am taking the class this weekend. Everyone I know, except for one person, has taken the class. I was surprised at that. They ALL recommend taking the class. In fact, the dealerships here have MSF pamphlets and hend them out - even the HD sales guy took the class. The class is not mandatory - but you will learn something and upon completion receive the riders portion of the DMV license. You will still need to go to the DMV for the written test. Be prepared, as the writen test has both a motorcycle and vehicle portion in the test.

If you dont want to take the class, borrow someones small bike bvecuase the DMV test is much more difficult than th MSF's. Also, I know people that failed the DMV riding test on HD's. They went back on small 250's and passed.

http://msf-usa.org/

Forgot to mention, the lizard insurance, Geico, rocks. About a year ago they got approved for Cal insurance. They beat the pants off of even Century 21 prices. Also, they give you 10% of your auto insurance when you add a motorcycle and little more off if you take the MSF class.

When in Vegas be sure and say hi to Cherry. Or was her name Rose...

Old 06-19-2008, 09:55 PM
flyburch
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts

i hear the dmv course is really hard so i agree take a small bike .. but take the msf course and u wont be sorry either thru harley or a local place.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So you live in SoCal and your going to go to Vegas to buy your bike? Good luck trying to register it in Ca. Unless your going to buy a used one with 7,500 miles on it you need to get one with Ca emissions. There are some exceptions to this law but from your post it doesnt sound like you meet any of them. Buy in Ca, itll make life much easier for you.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:14 AM
James.Suttle
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
&nbsp\\;
First off, thanks for everyones input.&nbsp\\; Greatly appreciated and I will take up everyones advice.
&nbsp\\;
Jimmers1817
I will look into the MSF course.&nbsp\\; I know a bit about bikes, but can always learn more.&nbsp\\; I'll ask about the course at the HD store and see what they can do for me.&nbsp\\; Hope your wife enjoys the class.
&nbsp\\;
KumaRide
Thanks for the input.&nbsp\\; I will most likely take the class and learn as much as possible.&nbsp\\; Thanks for the link on MSF.&nbsp\\; I will call Geico and see if they can beat USAA.&nbsp\\; Geico will have to really beat the USAA price by a lot since I have been with USAA for so long.&nbsp\\; If they do, looks like I'll be insured with the lizard.&nbsp\\; I'll look for anyone named "Cherry" or "Rose" and tell her you said HI.
&nbsp\\;
flyburch
I will most likely take a street legal Suzuki DRZ 400 to the test.&nbsp\\; I can throw that thing around likes it's nothing.&nbsp\\; Still smaller than what I'm&nbsp\\;use to on dirt (CRF 450R), and much smaller than the HD.&nbsp\\; A buddy has one that i will be able to use I think and that will make things much easier I believe.&nbsp\\; If the HD shop has a bike they loan for the class test, then I will go with that.
&nbsp\\;
Other Sheep
Wow.&nbsp\\; Good to know there are restrictions for CA bikes.&nbsp\\; I will look at CA HD locations and visit Vegas for other reasons...&nbsp\\; I may fall into one of the exemptions being Dept. of Def. Navy civillian, but not sure.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Does the CA emissions restrictions on the bike affect performance or wt????&nbsp\\; If so, I may have to look very hard at those exemptions or wait till I PCS in Sept to GA.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Thanks again for everyone's input.&nbsp\\; Helped out a ton.&nbsp\\; Now I just need to decide between the Rocker-C or the Night Train.....
&nbsp\\;
Y'all stay safe.
&nbsp\\;
James