Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering a Rocker C

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:16 PM
ChosenDFW
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering a Rocker C

I have only had to trailer my bikes three times in the past 6 years - all because they were not operational. Each time, the towing cost was very expensive just because I live so far from the nearest dealership or repair shop. The bed of my truck is too short to tow the new Rocker, but I do have a hitch on the truck.
&nbsp\\;
If I need to tow the Rocker for repairs, I am told that a flatbed trailer is better than a rail trailer. I am looking to this group for recommendations and experiences, and other tools (tie downs, chocks, etc...) that might also be needed.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:50 PM
flyburch
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Trailering a Rocker C

whats wrong with the rocker

Old 06-20-2008, 03:19 PM
mred1995
Novice

This past weekend, my dad towed his bike about 500 miles, and I towed mine about 250, and we met to go for a ride.&nbsp\\; He rented a uhaul open flatbed trailer, and I hauled mine on a Diamond C trailer, specifically designed for hauling motorcycles.
&nbsp\\;
The biggest thing that I found was that the chock was probably the most important thing on my trailer.&nbsp\\; With the chock, and only two tie-downs, I would have felt comfortable pulling the bike as far as I was going. Without the chock in his trailer, a tie-down at each corner was absolutely necessary.&nbsp\\; The diamond C trailer comes with it built in, but they're pretty easy to find on ebay, so you could just mount one to a typical flatbed.&nbsp\\; A friend of mine has a nice covered trailer, that has mounting points for chocks all over it, and detachable chocks, which is cool, but a little overboard for most people.
&nbsp\\;
Next thing was the "soft-ties"&nbsp\\; You can get them at Walmart, but I'd recommend the HD ones (like $7 for a pair).&nbsp\\; They seem like much better construction (they're 2 in wide, versus the 1 in you can find at wally world, and a much thicker nylon).&nbsp\\; These are much better than the tie-downs with the built in loop, because those seem like they're trying to pull themselves apart.
&nbsp\\;
For the tie-downs, buy the strongest 1 in. ratcheting ones you can find.&nbsp\\; I've been really disappointed everywhere I've looked, and really haven't found anything better than the HD ones.&nbsp\\; I've used both the ratcheting ones, and the pull tight kind, and I think you can get it way tighter with the ratcheting.&nbsp\\; If you go with the 2 in. ones, it's a much bigger PITA to keep all the excess wrapped up so it won't flap around and ruin your paint.&nbsp\\; If you're not handy with knots, get a bag of long zip ties to hold all of the extra material, as far from your bike as possible.&nbsp\\; If you are handy with knots, loop the excess between the hook on the trailer, and the ratcheting mechanism, and then tie it off with a couple of half hitches.
&nbsp\\;
Get the front of the bike tightened down so tight that there isn't ANY play in the suspension (I loop the soft-ties around the handlebars, where they connect to the triple tree, to get the biggest triangle I can).&nbsp\\; It helps to have a friend bounce on the front suspension as you're tightening it to make sure that it's all the way down.&nbsp\\; You don't want to hit a rock and have so much play that the strap comes loose.
&nbsp\\;
I'd agree that a flatbed trailer is probably better.&nbsp\\; I've never used a rail trailer, but it has to be easier to be able to ride the bike onto the trailer and put your feet down, then to have a buddy help you walk the bike up the rail.
&nbsp\\;
Uhaul:
http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.asp...pentrailer-5x9
Diamond C:
http://www.diamondctrailers.com/trai...-4mt-l10cs.htm
Non-ratcheting tie downs:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
Soft Ties:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 03:30 PM
slapps
Advanced

+1 on the tire chock.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:44 PM
ChosenDFW
Tourer

ORIGINAL: flyburch

whats wrong with the rocker
&nbsp\\;
Nothing at this time - just preparing for worse case

Old 06-20-2008, 10:32 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I just finished a 4X8 flatbed trailer and put tie downs and a wheel chock on it.&nbsp\\; All Harbor Frieght stuff. Total cost was under $460.&nbsp\\; I do have a 8.5 by 20 enclosed trailer for three bike and camping.&nbsp\\; But the truck gets 10 mpg towing it.&nbsp\\; Wht the little trailer, I can use my wifes Hylander for hauling to the dealer at 22mpg.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/BC671E1A4A2341D09CCBF53D1E72EF41.jpg[/IMG]