Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help and information with new upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:07 AM
expofrog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help and information with new upgrades.

I am looking to upgrade my 08 Deluxe and need some advice from you folks out there, first of all I think I am going with the power commander III after reading all the articles here, next to the exhaust, what is the difference between slip ons and a full system, 2 into 1 vs 2 into 2 pros and cons for and against and recommends on products and manufacturer.
On the A/C what will fit my motorcycle and recommendations.
I know upgrades are a personnel thing but nothing beats experience and advice, the number of products out there are overwhelming especially for a guy with little knowledge, thats why I am turning to you guys out there and this website for advice.
If anyone has pics of your ride with upgrades please post.

thanks in advance

Old 06-21-2008, 10:28 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts
Default RE: Help and information with new upgrades.

First of all, I'd suggest that you get real familiar with the Search function... all of these have been answered numerous times already and will probably have better responses that you can peruse&nbsp\\;at your leisure.
&nbsp\\;
I have a PC III and have been using it for nearly a year. I've had no problems, per se, but have noticed that the bike still seems to run very lean, even with the proper starter map and some tweaks based on others experiences. I just recently did the research again (search is your best friend here!) and considered getting it to the tuner for a dyno, and decided that I would replace it with the ThunderMax with autotune. I've got it on order and should have it by end of next week. I'd suggest that you really consider several things before making your decision:
[ul][*]How much do I want to spend overall[*]How mechanical am I (if you plan to install yourself - if not, refer to bullet #1)[*]How `moded` is my bike now, and how many more mods will I install in the future[*]How much risk do I wish to take, and how valuable is my warranty (if it is still in effect)[/ul]
These are some of the considerations to make.
[ul][*]You can take your bike to the tuner and have them set your ECM for your current configuration, and not have to deal with a SERT, PC III, Fuel Pak&nbsp\\;or ThunderMax.[*]You can get a SERT (just an interface cable and the software), but it makes direct changes to your ECM and has warranty implications, depending on who you listen to. You should have a qualified tuner set up the SERT map.[*]You can&nbsp\\;install the PC III, which sits inline with your ECM and modifies the settings without making direct changes to it, but is more labor-intensive to install. Some have had problems with theirs, but vendor and/or manufacturer support seems to be real good. Big issue with this is - if you have problems while on the road and it stops working, you will be running on the stock ECM values which may or may not be a big issue, depending on the number and nature of your mods. In my experience, you should still have your bike tuned by a PC III-trained tuner once installed. The PC III comes with O2 sensor eliminators and is thus a "closed-loop system".[*]You can install a ThunderMax, which replaces your ECM. If you need to have HD warranty service, you can probably remove it and reinstall the original ECM as far as I can tell. The TMax with autotune comes with wideband O2 sensors, is "open looped" and thus can automatically adjust the map based on actual performance. The mapping is much more comprehensive, as is the software, which may or may not be a good thing for you (too many things to screw with?). I believe this is the most expensive&nbsp\\;solution, but if you install one of the others and have a tuner dyno your bike, the costs are a&nbsp\\;fairly close wash.[*]Can't remember why now, but when I did my initial research I ruled out the Fuel Pak pretty quickly, so couldn't tell you much about it at this point. Again, the search feature is your friend.[/ul]
These are only my opinions on the subject, so do your own research and come to your own conclusions.
&nbsp\\;
As far as exhaust... in my opinion slip-ons are just for appearances and minor sound modification as near as I can tell. True performance and volume gains are only realized with true dual exhaust (including 2-into-1 pipes). As I recall, the best performance gains were realized with the 2-into-1 systems, but I opted for the V&amp\\;H Big Shot Staggered pipes as I liked the sounds, the looks, the pricing, and they fit my criteria best.
&nbsp\\;
Regarding A/C replacements... many will recommend the SEAC replacement kit. That is what I did, with the K&amp\\;N replacement filter. Others really like the Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and there are several others out there to choose from. The idea is to open up the intake and let it breath better, and to install something that asthetically appeals to you. If you choose the SEAC, there is a thread or two on here explaining how to order just the backplate and parts you need, so you can skip the kit, get the K&amp\\;N filter, the cover you want to use, and save several bucks in the process. Also, you have a choice of black, chrome, stainless, etc... for the back plate. Unfortunately I found that thread too late for myself, but you can benefit from my tardy research.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck, have fun, and ride safe!
Roger

Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Oh, and here's a link to my Myspace Fat Boy album, with lots of pictures of the modifications in progress:
&nbsp\\;
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=838615
&nbsp\\;
You can see what is involved with replacing the A/C, pipes, installing the PC III, etc.
&nbsp\\;
Roger

Old 06-21-2008, 10:36 AM
italfatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tunaman,

Love the color of your Fatboy![sm=deal.gif]

Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior

And yours too - good choice!
&nbsp\\;
Roger

Old 06-21-2008, 03:18 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was my first choice of color but did not have any. The girls love mine.