Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change - Filter spill when removed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:04 AM
erockguide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change - Filter spill when removed

I changed my oil today, and I know it's not rocket science, but after I let the oil drain out, I removed the oil filter. I guess I didn't get all the oil out or something because when I removed the filter, oil spilled onto the motor and down the front. Not much, but enough that I can tell some got on the wires under that plastic gizmo on the front of the engine, below the oil filter. Tomorrow I plan to buy some Simple Green or something to try and cut through the grime that resulted from oil getting in there.
&nbsp\\;
Question is: how do you get the oil out of the filter before removing it, so that no oil spills happen like happened to me today? I don't like having wires down there with oil on them. Seems like eventually the oil will degrade the wires and cause problems.
&nbsp\\;
Ideas? What has worked for you? Or am I the only goober who does not do this simple task corrrectly?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:18 AM
beepo
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Oil Change - Filter spill when removed

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2116928/tm.htm
&nbsp\\;
The one I liked best involved cutting a&nbsp\\;one litre soda botle in half and sliding it under the filter, letting the oil drain away from the bike and into a container.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:44 AM
italfatboy
Cruiser

+1

Old 06-22-2008, 04:23 AM
Agentorange
Advanced

You can't drain the oil out if the filter.&nbsp\\;Drag Specialties has&nbsp\\;a plastic tray that fits perfect under the filter to catch and direct the oil away from the engine and into a pan. You can also&nbsp\\;use some aluminum foil and make your own&nbsp\\;tray under the filter to catch it. I always place a few small rags on the Voltage Regulator (the plastic thingy you referred to) to keep and oil from getting all over stuff if it does spill. Simple Green or Grease Lightening works great. Just&nbsp\\;spray everything down and hose it off if it does spill.
&nbsp\\;
Part #DS-310249

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
AO&nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 AM
shovel52
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I loosen the filter just enough so it will come off easily and not leak during this little process. Then I take the plastic bottle I cut and place under the filter. Keep in mind the plastic is pretty long and sticks out over my oil pan. Then I take my little leather awl or punch or anything sharp and punch a hole at the top of the filter to vent and at the bottom to drain and walk away for 15 minutes or so. When I get back I just screw it off and throw it away. Sometimes I get a drop or two on the engine, but not much. I am thinking about putting a cooler on my Deuce and with the plate for the adapter, I think it will make it even easier to not get any oil on the engine. Just my 2 cents....Ken

Old 06-22-2008, 07:17 AM
HDCHROME110
Intermediate

Fast fix,Reynolds aluminium foil. Just put a sheet under the filter with the end folded up.spin it off and trash the tin and filter. keeps it clean and fast.
No mess!!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:55 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your bound to get oil drips no matter what you try to do unless you use some sort of gizmo to help. All the ones stated above cost practically nothing and believe it or not, they do work. I myself use the plastic bottle and it works great. Just my $.02 cents.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Nitram_b4
Advanced

Yup change my own oil and always a little mess to clean up...kinda a stupid design

Old 06-22-2008, 08:30 AM
erockguide
Cruiser

Thanks for the ideas and the link to that other thread.
&nbsp\\;
I'm going to go get some Simple Green now to deal with my current mess. I'll try the hole poke thing next time. Sounds good.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 AM
eagle1eye
Cruiser

A friend of mine told me to take a screwdriver &amp\\; hammer, poke a hole in end of filter at top. Then spin filter around to bottom and drain into tray.&nbsp\\;This gets majority of oil out of filter.&nbsp\\;Anyone hear of this?

Quick Reply: Oil Change - Filter spill when removed