Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 IED vs XiED

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:29 PM
hdfxcw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 IED vs XiED

Products from Nightrider.com
O2 IED is approx. $70 and changes fuel mixture from
14.6:1 to 14.2:1
XiED is approx. $100 and changes fuel mixture from
14.6:1 to 13.8:1

Which is the better way to go?

I'm riding an 08 Rocker.
I'm looking for heat reduction and possibly improved performance.
I do have upgraded exhaust and intake.

Thanks for any and all input!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:54 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: O2 IED vs XiED

If you send nightrider (steve) an email I believe he will recommend the XIEDs for your setup.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I went with the more conservative approach and got the O2 IEDs.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I'm running totally stock.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I read through the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;whole 40 pages or so of the nightrider thread in the tuning section.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; From what I read I just didn't think I needed to go that rich.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I'm very happy with what I have.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; My bike has never run better.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Better throttle response, smoother and more powerful accelleration through the gears.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; And I believe the exhaust has a better note to it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I was a skeptic at first but I'm convinced the O2 IEDs have made a big difference.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The bike is simply much more fun to ride.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I have'nt noticed any change in my oil temp, I think the XIEDs are better at lowering the heat than the IEDs.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; But the exhaust and heat throw off from the bike does seems alot less now.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
One thing I noticed about my bike before I put the IEDs on was that it ran better when cold. Once it warmed up performance&nbsp\\;dropped off.&nbsp\\; I think this is because the bike runs richer when cold.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; With the IEDs it&nbsp\\;seems like the bike runs&nbsp\\;like that all the time.&nbsp\\; The performance doesn't drop off after it warms up.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 06:40 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Neither. The IED cost about $5 to make and is based on a general result of what the 02 sensor is doing. The XIED is also based on what the 02 sensor is doing and is also a general setting. For a buck you can bypass the 02 and run rich at 12.1 to 1. with a 330 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. The best option is doing it right with wide band 02 sensors and get a Thundermax autotune or spend the money on a fuel management and a dyno tune. both cost the same.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran the XID's on my stock bike for a few months....
It seemed to run cooler, some have used laser temperature gauges and report a nice drop in head temperature...
As tk353 brought up, all they are resistors used to fool you ecm into thinking your running leaner then you actually are... this causes the ecm to dump additional fuel into the engine
&nbsp\\;
On a stock bike i think they are a good thing... but if you have done any modifications (as&nbsp\\;i see you have) &nbsp\\;I would look at some type of fuel management.
&nbsp\\;
When I installed my High Flow and Exhaust... I went with the Thundermax with Autotune... I Highly recommend it!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:06 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a stock engine but I got the XIED because I figured richer is cooler and I just wanted to cool it down when riding in traffic.&nbsp\\; They also fixed pinging under hard acceleration.
&nbsp\\;
Get XIED.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But for $100? I too ran stock and then bought the Rush slip ons and then the breather and ran about 3000 miles before getting the dyno tune and the pc3. I used the 330ohm resistor. I figured if the ecm ran the stock at 12.1 then with the stage 1 it ran about 13.3. 99 cents is all it cost.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: tk353

But for $100? I too ran stock and then bought the Rush slip ons and then the breather and ran about 3000 miles before getting the dyno tune and the pc3. I used the 330ohm resistor. I figured if the ecm ran the stock at 12.1 then with the stage 1 it ran about 13.3. 99 cents is all it cost.
&nbsp\\;
Actually $85 with military discount.&nbsp\\; I wouldn't care if they were made out of toothpicks and coathangers.&nbsp\\;XIED work and its probably the best money I've spent on the bike so far.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 AM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not saying the nightrider stuff is a bad idea,&nbsp\\; but it is really a form of duct tape.&nbsp\\; I have considered it, but plan on doing the stage 1 in the future with a tuner&nbsp\\;so why&nbsp\\;spend the extra money?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I have yet to read a&nbsp\\;case where a 96 or 88ci motor failed prematurely&nbsp\\;because it ran too&nbsp\\;hot.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 01:12 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: azfathog17

I am not saying the nightrider stuff is a bad idea,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; but it is really a form of duct tape.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have considered it, but plan on doing the stage 1 in the future with a tuner&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;so why&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;spend the extra money?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I have yet to read a&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;case where a 96 or 88ci motor failed prematurely&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;because it ran too&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;hot.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
I don't think XIED is the best solution for everybody.&nbsp\\; It won't give you big numbers on the dyno.&nbsp\\; But, there are a lot of guys like me who just want to cool the bike down and make riding more enjoyable and you don't need to spend $300, $600, or $900 to do that.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 AM
ViennaHog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still fail to understand how the XIED is supposed to work with the control logic of the 08 ECM. It only accepts a certain range of sensor signals from around +/- 0.5 AFR from the stoichiometric point of 14.7. Everything outside will create O2&nbsp\\;signal error message lean or rich.
Can somebody enlighten me?

Quick Reply: O2 IED vs XiED