Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Softail Front End Bottoms Out !

Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 PM
lowflyby
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer Softail Front End Bottoms Out !

I can easily push the front end down about 85% with the front brake on.&nbsp\\; It rides like a boat and the front brake cable has worn through the paint because it is rubbing against the front fender when it bottoms out.
&nbsp\\;
Oh yeah, I just got it back from the dealer that way two days ago.&nbsp\\; The rebuilt the front end and now it's too dangerous to drive.&nbsp\\; I have called them about it but they have not called me back ?
&nbsp\\;
Just in case, how did this happen and how will they stiffen the front end up?
&nbsp\\;
I want to make sure it is done right.&nbsp\\; I didn't see any adjustments on making it stiffer in the shop manual?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:02 PM
B.Fighter43
Advanced
Default RE: Springer Softail Front End Bottoms Out !

I would really make sure I would take it back to the dealer who did the work on it, They should have test rode the bike before you picking up was this a Harley Dealer ?

If they replaced all the bearings and adjusted the springs like they should have the bike would not be doing this. The Springs are the main cause of the fork bottoming out.

But now you better not mess with any of the adjustments because they will attempt to blame you for the problem if you do.

The Springs is the only thing that will cause this to happen can be easly fix If the person knows any thing about a Springer Front end.

Good Luck&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 PM
panamoncreel
Tourer
Default RE: Springer Softail Front End Bottoms Out !

My FLSTSC had that same rubbing on the front fender from the front brake cable and wire for the front fender light.&nbsp\\; The "fix" is them using a tie-wrap to secure it to that left rigid springer fork.&nbsp\\; haha&nbsp\\; Oh well...&nbsp\\; If you've caught it early enough, you can clay bar / polish out that rub and it should be fine.&nbsp\\; If not...&nbsp\\;[&:]

As for bottoming out, sounds like they really f'd up.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:33 PM
lowflyby
Advanced

The shock was totally shot! I replaced it with a Progressive Shock, big difference!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they replaced all the bearings and adjusted the springs like they should have the bike would not be doing this. The Springs are the main cause of the fork bottoming out.

Obviously, you have no idea what you are talkin about. Springs are not adjustable. Using a beam type torque wrench, you can torque the rockers. Bearings do not necessarily need to be replaced.

Beware what you read on the net.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflyby
The shock was totally shot! I replaced it with a Progressive Shock, big difference!
Dang... you found out before I could reply... a dual action shock controls the compression and rebound of the springs...

Charlie D.