Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Oil Question

I just picked up my Softail Custom on Wednesday and I also wanted to get a bottle of oil so in case I needed to add oil before the first service I would have some.
The parts guy said that the bike came with regular 20-50 and when I have it serviced to have it changed to synthetic oil.
I would think that they would put the Syn oil in the bike at the factory.
I guess I am to believe that the bike has 20-50 in it?
Is this ok? Is there any way to tell what oil it has in it? Maybe the owners manual says?
Ron
Ride Safe

Old 06-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Asylumcycle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Question

they put regular oil in from factory to save money, thats alot of money if you multiply the few dollars saved by as many bikes as they produce. you dont have to put syn in if you dont want to. I personally do not and have 70,000 miles with no problem. I have two buds that are master techs that say NOT to use the syn. they are having alot of bikes coming in with more problems and noises that use syn campared to regular oil. I know a couple guys that use syn and watch thier temps and have only dropped temp 3-5 degrees, to me not worth it. Good luck, to each his own.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If your a religious fenatic about changine oil then the dyno stuff is probably fine. But if the engine runs hot for a long time the additives in it will start to break down and reduce their effectiveness much quicker than "I" consider acceptable. Dyno oils can handle a decent amount of heat for a reasonable lenght of time but they will start to break down faster than synthetics. The thing is that the additives are the same for both so extended operations at higher temps (over 250 degrees) will advesly affect both about the same in that way. The synthetics just handle the heat and transfer more of it out of the engine quicker/better.
For me, an oil change nut, it might not matter much, but I would rather err on the side of caution and use the synthetics. Just for the peace of mind, and even a nut like me doesn't put all that much mileage on the bike to make a significant difference in the cost.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:08 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm that religious nut, and my RK has had dyno MOCO 20-50 in it from the day I bought it new.&nbsp\\; Changed at 250, 500, 1500, and every 2000-2500 since.&nbsp\\; I've got 63,000 on it now, and it uses about 1/2 qt in 2500 miles.&nbsp\\; The key is clean oil.&nbsp\\; Dyno or Synthetic.&nbsp\\; If you bought it used, and it has had Dyno MOCO 20-50, I'd recommend staying with it.&nbsp\\; If it's new, and you've finished the breakin, then you can switch over to Synthetic.&nbsp\\; Be aware if there is any chance for that motor to leak, once you put the synthetic in it, you'll find out.&nbsp\\; Good Luck, CCRyder

Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is your scoot, your ride, your&nbsp\\;Harley. It's NOT some vanilla metric. Spend the extra and go first class. Running Mobil 1 V Twin I have no worries going 6K between changes. Runs cololer, stays cleaner, plus you can get it at Auto Zone. Amsoil is good too but harder to find. Don't let them sell you on Syn 3. I don't believe it's as good. I put Mobil 1 20-50 in all 3 holes.
Marsh

Old 07-01-2008, 09:38 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

+1000000 on Mobil 1 V-Twin. first 1k miles had the factory dino oil. switched to Syn3 in engine and trans. YUK and that crap is made by Citgo. Last 2 oil changes have had M1 V-Twin in the engine, m1 full Synthetic gear lube in the tranny. Runs MUCH cooler compared to stock and much better peace of mind. I have stuck with H-D Formula Plus in the primary. I figure that with the OEM clutch pack installed I may as well stick with Formula +. Once I go to a performance clutch, Ill definitely use whatever is recommended.