Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Gaurds - Mustache compared to Traditional for Protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:04 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Engine Gaurds - Mustache compared to Traditional for Protection

I just started riding and jumped in the deep end with a Fatboy. A couple friends are telling me I should try to protect me and the bike as best as possible right now, and add some engine gaurds. I like the looks of the mustache style but Im not sure if the normal ones provide more protection? If they do provide more protection, in what way - for me, the bike...&nbsp\\; If the bike is dropped from a dead stop or slow moving roll, will the bike roll over further with mustache gaurds but not with traditional? Trying to understand where the benifits are, if any, with the normal style gaurds.

Apologies if these questions sound lame.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:04 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Engine Gaurds - Mustache compared to Traditional for Protection

Curious about that myself.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I have the moustache's on my Heritage.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I chose them because I liked the look and the fact that they can be used as a footrest.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
When my wife got her Deluxe last month&nbsp\\;first thing we put on were engine guards.&nbsp\\; Good thing too because she dropped it twice during parking lot practice.&nbsp\\; It was&nbsp\\;a tough choice between the nostalgic and moustaches.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;In the end she&nbsp\\;liked the looks of the moustache better.
&nbsp\\;
The one time she dropped it, the&nbsp\\;left passing lamp trim ring got a small dent in it and the clutch&nbsp\\;mount got a small scratch.&nbsp\\;The&nbsp\\;guard&nbsp\\;did it's job in protecting the expensive&nbsp\\;parts.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;I didn't see her go down so I don't know what caused the front to tip that low.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I believe the rounded&nbsp\\;Nostalgic&nbsp\\;would've tipped&nbsp\\;as bad if not worse&nbsp\\;than the moustache.&nbsp\\; But&nbsp\\;it appears that the standard chrome may have offered more resistance to a full tip.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; But that's just a&nbsp\\;guess.&nbsp\\; In any case&nbsp\\;neither of us&nbsp\\;would consider changing to it.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Just noticed that you were a new rider.&nbsp\\; I am in the same boat.&nbsp\\; 50+ and my first bike was a Heritage.&nbsp\\; Took the MSF course, bought the RLAP DVD, and just took it step by step,&nbsp\\; always staying in my comfort zone.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
In 3600 miles I have only dropped the bike once and that was while backing it down the driveway.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Front tire went onto grass and it dropped like a stone.&nbsp\\; Fortunately onto the grass.
&nbsp\\;
I've learned to stay away from the front brake when the front tire is turned and also not to look down at that tire.&nbsp\\; Look down, you go down.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Enjoy the ride.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-28-2008, 10:12 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks, good advice.

For me, without the MSF course their is no way, let me repeat, NO WAY, I could be riding a Fatboy as a first bike.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Heritage70X
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also ride the Heritage and love the look of the mustache engine guard on mine.&nbsp\\; That and the saddlebag guard were the first two things I bought !

Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

Love the moustache bar it took care of my backing up Fokup no damage at all!!!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Sftail291
Tourer

I have the classic bars on my Heritage and like them, but since I have short legs I could not comfortably reach the extended HD highway pegs so I just took them off. I'm considering a switch to the mustache bars because I would be able to comfortably use them has highway pegs. I think I like the classic look better.......but what are you gonna do? being short (5'8") sucks

Old 06-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I put the mustache bars on my 99 Heritage and ended up removing them because my long legs couldnt use them on the hiway. Installed the regular bars with hiway pegs instead. Used regular bars for my 07 also. Being tall (6 4') sucks.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:02 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sftail291, you need to install harley's "Adjustable highway peg mounting kit 360 degrees." Part number is: 50832-07A.
They work great for any length legs and look good also. Extremely adjustable.&nbsp\\; I run them on my Heritage w/ nostalgic bar.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:28 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: keno

sftail291, you need to install harley's "Adjustable highway peg mounting kit 360 degrees." Part number is: 50832-07A.
They work great for any length legs and look good also. Extremely adjustable.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I run them on my Heritage w/ nostalgic bar.
&nbsp\\;
+1
Keep the bars you have and just put the pegs on them.&nbsp\\; They're all all kinds of multi-directional/multi length pegs for all leg sizes.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; The moustache bars are okay to rest your feet on but the the pegs would be much more versatile and useful,&nbsp\\; especially for someone with shorter legs.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I'm going to be adding pegs to my moustache bars.&nbsp\\; Probably get something along the lines of the HD 360 but not sure.
&nbsp\\;