Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy pulls left

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:51 PM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Boy pulls left

I have followed many threads regarding this problem but I haven't read any real solution.

I personally think it's rear wheel alignment. I jacked up the bike tonight and laying on the creeper I noticed that my drive belt is riding on one side of the rear pulley (the pulley is wider than the belt). Now I'm no expert here but I'd think that by using the axle jacking bolts (after loosening the rear axle) I could fine tune the belt to ride in the center of the rear pulley.&nbsp\\; I know this affects the belt tension so that has to be factored in. When I adjust my bandsaw this is basically what I do...change the camber to make the blade ride center.

Now many will say live with it because all Harleys do it but I think its probably too much trouble for the service departments to deal with. They have there 2lb rule and so be it. I just don't think its quite right and I also think it affects tire wear. I've read so many many messages of some people getting very low mileage on rear tires and others getting 3 and 4 times higher mileage. Sure driving style has a lot to do with it but I've read many threads where the owner is not aggressive on the throttle and only gets 3k on his rear tire.

I'm going to find out if I'm right because I'm going to center my drive belt and see if the bike still pulls left.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:58 PM
deadeye1340?
Cruiser
Default RE: Fat Boy pulls left

Rear wheel alignment may be what your issue is, but another thing to think about is the crown in the road.&nbsp\\; All roads&nbsp\\;are crowned somewhat to make the water run off.&nbsp\\; This might give you a slight pull too.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:46 PM
plane
Road Captain

Good point deadeye

Old 06-29-2008, 05:16 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your tire pressure up to what it should be?
&nbsp\\;
Cannon
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 05:47 AM
pscheval
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem, let me know if adjusting your rear tire worked.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Dickf5187
Cruiser

I wouldn't adjust the rear tire using the belt running position on the pulley as my criteria. Small amounts of engine/transmission offset can cause the belt to run to one side or the other and yet the wheels are aligned. What you need to do is align the rear wheel to the front wheel so that they are both on the same track.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:12 AM
plane
Road Captain

Jonny, tire pressures are on the dot. pscheval, I'll post when I do it. Only problem is I have to pull the exhaust to get to the right side adjuster. Or pull the lower slip-on.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:49 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious, when is it pulling? When you gas it it pulls to the left? Can you ride with no hands on the bars at speed? Kent

Old 06-29-2008, 04:57 PM
plane
Road Captain

92, it pulls left when I release the bars at any speed including freeway speeds of 65mph. I can't tell if it pulls when speeding up because I have to put my hands on the throttle to do that.

Dickf5187, I can't imagine the engine tranny being very far out of alignment. Since the tranny bolts directly to the motor I would think that it'd have to be pretty darn square to the frame. You may be right of course but somehow putting a tape measure on things doesn't seem very accurate to me.

I'd be all over my theory right now if it wasn't for the exhaust system being in the way. I'm going to try to pull the slip-on first and see if that works out before I pull the entire exhaust system. It wouldn't be a problem but I installed chrome axle nut covers thus the exhaust has to go in order to get the right cover off.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of pipes do you have? Can you drop the back mount and get enough room? Kent

Quick Reply: Fat Boy pulls left