Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken carb fuel line connector

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Wampuscat
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Broken carb fuel line connector

[:@]&nbsp\\; Yes, I'm a dumb-***!&nbsp\\; I broke the plastic 90 degree fuel line connector at the carb.&nbsp\\; This is a stock HD carb on a '94 Evo.&nbsp\\; It broke at the point where the plastic meets the brass, so the connector hasn't damaged the carb body.&nbsp\\; Is this a part I can replace from the local auto parts store?&nbsp\\; Or am I screwed into waiting for the nearest shop to order it?
&nbsp\\;
Next question:&nbsp\\; Does this connector screw in or press in?&nbsp\\; If it screws in, is it right or left hand threads?&nbsp\\; Yes I do have the HD manual, but it doesn't say anything about this dumb-assed mistake.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:06 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Broken carb fuel line connector

So you think youre the ONLY one whos done this?? ...don't know about an older carbed bike but I broke the quick-connect styled one on my 06 Standard pulling my tank (cheap plastic POS)...ended up costing me $50.00+ at the stealership...my advise...bite the bullet and get an original...maybe eBay??&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Wampuscat
Cruiser
Default RE: Broken carb fuel line connector

I found out that its pressed in and can be removed&nbsp\\;by a self tapping screw and pliers.&nbsp\\; Did it.&nbsp\\; Woohoo!&nbsp\\; But now I still need to get another one&nbsp\\;in.&nbsp\\; Do the auto houses have a same size 90 that will work?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;If they do, what if any prep should&nbsp\\;I do to the connector first?&nbsp\\; I dont wanna thread&nbsp\\;the hole since that'll mean disassembling the carb to clean it out&nbsp\\;unnecessarily.[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 06-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Wampuscat
Cruiser
Default answering myself

No way for the local auto parts fix...&nbsp\\; They do have a threaded 90 but no press in 90.&nbsp\\; JP Cycles has the old plastic POS for $10 if I want to wait, nope.&nbsp\\; 50 mile round trip to the nearest HD dealership that recently started opening Mondays and $13 later, I have a new brass 90.&nbsp\\;
Now for the install: tap it in...hell no.&nbsp\\; I used a 4" C-clamp and a 1" wooden paint brush.&nbsp\\; I put the brush against the carb body to give even pressure.&nbsp\\; Don't wanna break the carb also now do we?