Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt Problem Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:58 PM
ffontaine
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt Problem Need Help!

I am hoping that somebody can help me figure out what to do.&nbsp\\; I was trying to take the chrome nut off&nbsp\\;the tank panel on my softail and it seems to have stripped out.&nbsp\\; This is the one where the bolt head is held in place by a bracket on the tank itself and protrouds up through the console, then the chrome nnut screws on to hold the console down.&nbsp\\; Well it seems like either the bold head slipped out of the bracket (but I don't tink so), the backet broke (hope not), or something else but the nut just turns &amp\\; turns.&nbsp\\; But in any case I need to get the colnsole off and replace the bolt &amp\\; nut.&nbsp\\; Anyone got any ideas how I can get it off?
&nbsp\\;
All advice appreciated.
&nbsp\\;
Fred

Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Bolt Problem Need Help!

Have you tried to lift-up on the console?&nbsp\\; If the bolt has come loose from the bracket, nothing should be holding the console down at this point.
&nbsp\\;
If it won't lift-off then the bolt is still attached to the bracket and your chrome nut is stripped.
&nbsp\\;
Are we talking about a new bike, a used bike, etc.&nbsp\\; You can have the dealer take care of this if new.
&nbsp\\;
Why&nbsp\\;are you lifting off the console?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Spike_96
Cruiser

Like stated above: ***If the bolt has come loose from the bracket, nothing should be holding the console down at this point.***
&nbsp\\;
If it is still secure, try applying light upward pressure on the console while turning the nut. This may force the threads to restart.
&nbsp\\;
Good Luck.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:39 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Spike said.&nbsp\\; It sounds like the bolt on the console bracket has come loose.&nbsp\\; If Spike's idea doesn't work, about the only thing you can do is cut the nut with a dremel and fix the console bracket bolt.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:35 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a zip cut and decap the acorn part of the nut until you can see the bolt. Now zip a slot into the bolt. Use a screwdriver in the slot and an open end wrench on the nut. Get new nut at dealer and find out why it just spins and fix it too. Be careful where you are shooting the sparks and a wet rag over the gas cap, and entire tank&nbsp\\;wouldn't hurt either.
Ron

Old 07-02-2008, 07:04 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I should have pointed out that the bolt is a carrige bolt which means it has a round head but a square section at the head that slips into the bracket on the fuel pump cover. There's a small tab bent over the head to keep it in place. Quit possibly&nbsp\\; the square has bent the bracket to the point that it will no longer hold it like a wrench. When tightening the nut on the speedo , only go until it stops, no more or you could gall the end and it will be a bastard to remove. A little anti seize or the very minimum grease on the threads prior to reassembly should stop this.
Ron

Old 07-03-2008, 04:29 PM
ffontaine
Intermediate

Thanks everyone.&nbsp\\; Yeah I tried moving the entire console already hoping it would come loose, no luck.&nbsp\\; I think the dremel ideal is probably the best so far.&nbsp\\; If I could get it up just a little more I could cut the bolt with a hacksaw, but right now I can't get enough clearence.