Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust pop

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Milpitas FXST
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust pop

Just had my Big radius installed and stage 1 modification. and still have a pop specially change
gears. any idea or It's just the way it is.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer
Default RE: exhaust pop

you didn't mention if you got a tune(SE race tuner, Fuel Pak, Power commander III, etc).&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; absolutely required when you do a stage I and exhaust replacement.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
just a side note.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I went with the PCIII over the SE race tuner since the PCIII has MANY more canned tunes available online than the SE tuner does.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; They found my exact exhaust, Big Bore 103, piston size, cylinder heads, etc. in a tune that had already been done, online, so I didn't have to pay for several hours of tuning time to tweak my setup..
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

the popping is definitely NOT normal.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; got my BR 2-into-1 installed a couple of days ago along with a power commander III....just sweet V-twin music in my right ear....

Old 07-02-2008, 04:33 PM
SD Night Train
Cruiser

You dont need a tuning chip with an exhaust and stage 1 mod. Can you tell us if you are using the O2 sensors on each of the headers?

Thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 04:39 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually popping is pretty common. If you have a PCIII just adjust the&nbsp\\;0 position throttle setting. I added 20 to mine and a little bit to the 2 position and it runs great now with rarely ever a pop. Some people have to put negative numbers like -20 in the 0 position. Just play around with the 0 position which is the closed throttle settings and see if it helps with the popping. You won't hurt anything and if you aren't satisfied then just put all the numbers back to what they were. It's very simple.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM
SD Night Train
Cruiser

I just called 2 different dealers....evidently they dont know what needs to be done either...one said you need a chip even if you change only the air filter and the other said you dont need to add a chip unless you want additional tunability.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:28 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

The engines already run lean just being stock, changing the air filter adds even more air and makes it run even leaner. If you have changed the air filter to a high flow one then you definately need to do domething to change the fuel mixture be&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; it a Fuelpak, PC III or Sert.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 08:10 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the time it is the throttle position but if you have the correct and it still does it them maybe you need a dyno tune.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 PM
SmokinEd
Advanced

For stage I and stock pipes you need at least the Stage I download.&nbsp\\; You change the pipes, and you need a tuner (ala PCIII or Sert) or it will pop like hell because of the increased air flow.&nbsp\\; I started with a PCIII but went to SERT with the 103 build.&nbsp\\; Both work very well, SERT doesn't require an additional device to be installed.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Also make sure you check the tightness of your exhaust. A&nbsp\\; guy at work put some pipes on his VTX1800 and was getting popping until he realized his exhaust wasn't bolted down tight.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 PM
20FXST06
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket

Actually popping is pretty common. If you have a PCIII just adjust the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;0 position throttle setting. I added 20 to mine and a little bit to the 2 position and it runs great now with rarely ever a pop. Some people have to put negative numbers like -20 in the 0 position. Just play around with the 0 position which is the closed throttle settings and see if it helps with the popping. You won't hurt anything and if you aren't satisfied then just put all the numbers back to what they were. It's very simple.
PIB, What numbers did you put in the 2 position??

Quick Reply: exhaust pop