Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 AM
srm148
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling problem

For some reason, my 04 Train doesnt want to idle until it gets warmed up for at least 15 minutes or so. I start it with the choke and let it run for a few, then turn off the choke. It will run for a minute or so and then stall...Once I run for about 10-15 minutes, it will idle. Anyone have any ideas?&nbsp\\; I just replaced the intake gaskets thinking they were leaking, but it still does it. I even removed the air cleaner thinking maybe it was choking, still no luck!!&nbsp\\; And no, my idle is fine, not to low...

Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 AM
spikehyre
Road Master
Default RE: Idling problem

I would next check the low speed jet....

Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
spikehyre
Road Master

Oops, sorry for the large pic...I have resized.&nbsp\\; I would still check the low speed jet.....

Old 07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like you have dirt in the idle circuit. Like the man said, check/clean the idle jet and blow out the passages in the carb. That should do the trick. The easy route might be to use some gas additive to run in your gas that cleans the fuel system. I prefer the first method.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep in mind that its not a choke, its an enrichener, it dumps extra fuel in when cold. Mechanics will tell you to pull it out, start it and push it in. Lock your throttle for a couple minutes to let the bike warm but dont leave the enrichener out longer than needed. It will load up the plugs and wash out the cylinders. This was advice from an indy when I owned a 99 Heritage.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Other Sheep

Keep in mind that its not a choke, its an enrichener, it dumps extra fuel in when cold. Mechanics will tell you to pull it out, start it and push it in. Lock your throttle for a couple minutes to let the bike warm but dont leave the enrichener out longer than needed. It will load up the plugs and wash out the cylinders. This was advice from an indy when I owned a 99 Heritage.
&nbsp\\;
Ditto that.&nbsp\\; You have likely fouled the spark plugs by using the enricher too long.&nbsp\\; Clean or replace the plugs, use the choke for 15 seconds or so at starting, then see how it runs.&nbsp\\; The idle jet, sometimes called the pilot jet, is also a likely suspect if you can't get it to idle right.&nbsp\\; We will assume your mixture screw hasn't been adjusted too far.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:00 AM
srm148
Advanced

Wow, guess I was all wrong about my idol. This is my first twin cam, so, I had the idle where I thought it should be, as it has a big bore kit, cams, and gear drive. The idle is low and a little lopey. I spoke with HD, and they said the idle should be around 1050...I am sure it was bumping around 800. So, I will adjust it and see what happens. Thanks for the advice on the "enrichener". I will still replace the plugs, and check the jets. Thanks for all the great advice.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Fightn_Tiger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had the exact same problem with my 2000 night train, turn out to be the membrane in the carb was torn.&nbsp\\; Took the carb off, cleaned up everything, replaced that rubber gasket and it ran like a champ again.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;