Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Big radius

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM
jipmkwa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance & Hines Big radius

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I got Gibs bracket and am going to order the new pipes. Was just wondering if the ones I am looking for are just any that say 08 softail ? Also , Once installed what else do I have to do? I think I read from you guys about a computer and/or dyno is required ? Thank you

Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 PM
jhleek
6th Gear
Default RE: Vance & Hines Big radius

I did just what you propose.&nbsp\\; Install went just fine.
I did not change the intake and have had no problems with the stock map.
&nbsp\\;
HUGE improvement in the sound over the stock pipes!!!
&nbsp\\;
joe

Old 07-03-2008, 12:30 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, they are the ones you want - Gib's bracket works great. If you do the pipes and air intake you will want to use a fuel mgmt system. I used a SERT, but you could use PCIII or V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H Fuel Pack or others. The HD SERT does not have to stay on the bike it simply reprograms the ECM, the others need to stay on the bike. Once done you could have it dynod, but with a standard configuration you can simply download the mapping.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:36 PM
jipmkwa
Cruiser

I was planning on putting the SE- heavy breather on also. If I do that, you suggest I buy the PCIII or what ever it is called? And this device is used just once to reprogram my bikes computer to change fuel/mix ratio or what ever etc. ?

Edit : Jeez just looked it up and they are another 360 $ for the power commander. Can you use other peoples PC III or are they bike specific? Would be happy to pay half the cost of it just to use it the one time . Thanks

&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\ ; justin

Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

If you do the heavy breather and the pipes, yes definately you will want to use a management system. I used the SERT (used any time you want to reprogram the ECM - in case you do other work - does not stay on the bike.&nbsp\\; You could use PCIII (many like it) - it does stay on the bike.

I had mine done at the dealer and they were more comfortable with the SERT (of course it is an HD product). What I was told is that the SERT reprograms the ECM while the PCIII actually tricks the ECM. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, just figured I would play it safe with the SERT.

Obviously your choice of what to use, but you will want to get a management system.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 AM
jipmkwa
Cruiser

Talked to the stealership and they said a PC III / SERT is not necessary if all I plan on doing is the pipes and heavy breather. They can do a flash something or another to reprogram my computer at the dealership for 150$ . Has anyone done this?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Also, been checking out ebay and for some reason one set of Big Radius are 579$ and are for 86-08 softail and the other set are 599$ and are for 07-08 softail ? I'm confused. Any help would be great , which ones do I buy ? They said they do not accept returns unless the package has been damaged.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:38 PM
jipmkwa
Cruiser

Bump *

Old 07-06-2008, 06:50 PM
HybridJohn
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 07 - 08 probably has the o2 sensors. I would think the 86 up does not.
Edited to add: the mount for the o2 sensors.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:16 PM
jipmkwa
Cruiser

They both say they have the mounts installed for the factory 02 sensors. I'm just going to go for the 07-08 softail ones.&nbsp\\;I&nbsp\\; can't tell a difference in the two in the desription of them. They said something about not having the gaskets come with them? Can I use my stock gaskets from my pipes with these new ones?

Old 07-06-2008, 07:34 PM
HybridJohn
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also go for the 07 - 08.vance and hines&nbsp\\;website has 2 different p.n.s. 1 for 86 - 06 and 1 for 07 - 08.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Big radius