Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front tire blowout

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:38 PM
highbars92
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front tire blowout

I experienced 2 front blowouts this weekend. I had a new Dunlop 80/80/21 tire that I bought online put on Monday morning by an indy. I didn't notice that he put the tire on backwards as the arrow was pointing in the wrong direction. I didn't have a problem until Friday night. I was riding on the interstate at 70 mph when the front tube went flat. Luckily I was able to keep control and move over to the shoulder. We checked the tire the next day and found that the tube had a hole in it. We couldn't find any bad spots on the tire so we put another tube in it. We pinched the tube and had to get another one. It wasn't my day as we pinched the second tube also. We were putting it on by hand using the tire spoons. We patched the tube so I could get it on the road and it was holding air fine. I got down the road about 20 minutes later and the tube popped again. I'm putting my old rim and tire until I get another new tire. Is there any way to make a spoke rim tubeless. A buddy of mine said to run 2 layers of duct tape on the rim to help it. It seems the holes may be on the tire side and not the rim side.I didn't have a problem with the old tire and tube that was on the rim but it was worn and needed to be replaced. Any ideas?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Front tire blowout

Some have had minimal success using silicone to seal the spokes. Have never tried it myself but have heard that it can work. You need to let it dry overnight and apply a second coat so it takes some time to do it right. I used heavy tubes on my dirt bikes, I wonder if they are available for street bikes.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know of anything I would trust going down the highway...
&nbsp\\;
Charlie D.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 AM
jmaynard
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: highbars92

I experienced 2 front blowouts this weekend. I had a new Dunlop 80/80/21 tire that I bought online put on Monday morning by an indy. I didn't notice that he put the tire on backwards as the arrow was pointing in the wrong direction. I didn't have a problem until Friday night. I was riding on the interstate at 70 mph when the front tube went flat. Luckily I was able to keep control and move over to the shoulder. We checked the tire the next day and found that the tube had a hole in it. We couldn't find any bad spots on the tire so we put another tube in it. We pinched the tube and had to get another one. It wasn't my day as we pinched the second tube also. We were putting it on by hand using the tire spoons. We patched the tube so I could get it on the road and it was holding air fine. I got down the road about 20 minutes later and the tube popped again. I'm putting my old rim and tire until I get another new tire. Is there any way to make a spoke rim tubeless. A buddy of mine said to run 2 layers of duct tape on the rim to help it. It seems the holes may be on the tire side and not the rim side.I didn't have a problem with the old tire and tube that was on the rim but it was worn and needed to be replaced. Any ideas?
&nbsp\\;
Since you have a number of punctured tubes, why not use one of them around the rim between the new tube and the spokes. That should provide adaquate 'insulation' from anything protruding into the new tube.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 PM
highbars92
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We pulled the tube out today and couldn't find any holes in it. I guess the valve stem was defective. We replaced the tube with another. We just couldn't figure out why the tube went flat like it did.