Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate the CA DMV!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
White Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I hate the CA DMV!

So, I've been turned down 3 times in a row now for Personalized plates now and wanted to vent... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
&nbsp\\;
How the DMV decides what is an "acceptable" plate, and not is beyond me. I've seen some plates out there that crack me up, but to most would be offensive. So, why is it that I can't get a plate to save my freakin' life?!
&nbsp\\;
First "Unacceptable" plate was for my Chrysler 300. Purchased "PI300MP" Online, and 4 months later without hearing anything from DMV decided to call, and check. Was told it was Unacceptable... OK, I was trying to get away with Pimp 300.. Fair enough... but, why not send a notice telling me so and refunding my $$$? About a week later, I see I've been refunded the $44 into my bank account.
&nbsp\\;
So, get my beloved 2008 Crossbones, and buy a plate online once again. I was thrilled to find "XBONEZX" was available, so snatched that baby up for $44... 4 Months later, call, "Unacceptable"... Keep in mind they ask you what the meaning of the plate is when you order it, and they sure as hell let you buy it if it's not taken. I put that it was&nbsp\\;a Harley Davidson Cross Bones Model FLSTSB.. Ok, maybe there was one X short of XXX and the word bonez could be a big ***** I guess... What do you know, one week later after calling, a credit for $44 shows up in my bank account.. Are they just hoping you will never call?
&nbsp\\;
So, 3rd time MUST be a charm right? No way in he** I'm using bone or Xs on my 3rd try. So, I find that "HD BOBER" is available! How on earth could that be! Everything was for a reason, and I'm blessed to have failed on my last attempt right.. Well that was about 2 months ago, so called today. "Unacceptable".... Bober? Really? WTF DMV?
&nbsp\\;
So, yay for me! I get some 1k9560f plate for the rest of my bikes life...
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for listening....
&nbsp\\;
WG

Old 07-08-2008, 03:04 PM
flash1034
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: I hate the CA DMV!

Hey Whiteguy.&nbsp\\; Going to Fudruckers tonight?&nbsp\\; Ill be there in my green Viper.
&nbsp\\;
Bill

Old 07-08-2008, 03:17 PM
White Guy
Tourer

I'm not planning on going tonight. Saw all I needed to see last week. I hear that the Fuddruckers up by Foothill Ranch has Thursday Motocycle Meets.. Now that is something I'm planning on doing soon.
&nbsp\\;
WG
&nbsp\\;
ORIGINAL: flash1034

Hey Whiteguy.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Going to Fudruckers tonight?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Ill be there in my green Viper.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Bill

Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
slapps
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try submitting DMVSUX.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That's just nuts !!!

I bet they don't have any issues renewing some 90 year old lady's Driver License though...

Mike
NY

Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

What I noticed from the CA DMV is that when I went to the Auto Club to find out why my plate request was denied is that there are special formats already reserved.
&nbsp\\;
For example, I had requested a license plate&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; CA1 M
&nbsp\\;
I was denied and wasn't told why, they just said I couldn't use those letters.
&nbsp\\;
The Auto Club showed me a book with the rules of personal license plates.
In my case CA is reserved for California Congressmen. Their license plate would start with CA and then the numbers following are their districts. So anything that starts with CA is not allowed by a private person. The average person doesn't know what the rules are, and there are lots of restrictions on personal plates.
&nbsp\\;
Anyway you get the idea. It would be nice if the DMV would just explain in plain English what is wrong with the request.
&nbsp\\;
I would suggest either going to the AAA or if your not a member&nbsp\\;but&nbsp\\;know someone who is a member, get them to go with you and find out what you can and can't get.
&nbsp\\;
Ride Safe.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:40 PM
White Guy
Tourer

LOL! We think the same...
&nbsp\\;
ORIGINAL: slapps

Try submitting DMVSUX.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 PM
White Guy
Tourer

Thanks for the info. I am actually an AAA member. Yeah, an explaination would be nice....
&nbsp\\;
WG
&nbsp\\;
ORIGINAL: flyboyron

What I noticed from the CA DMV is that when I went to the Auto Club to find out why my plate request was denied is that there are special formats already reserved.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
For example, I had requested a license plate&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; CA1 M
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I was denied and wasn't told why, they just said I couldn't use those letters.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The Auto Club showed me a book with the rules of personal license plates.
In my case CA is reserved for California Congressmen. Their license plate would start with CA and then the numbers following are their districts. So anything that starts with CA is not allowed by a private person. The average person doesn't know what the rules are, and there are lots of restrictions on personal plates.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Anyway you get the idea. It would be nice if the DMV would just explain in plain English what is wrong with the request.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I would suggest either going to the AAA or if your not a member&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;but&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;know someone who is a member, get them to go with you and find out what you can and can't get.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Ride Safe.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I don't like personalized license plates. I think it's harder for some bozo to remember my plate if it's not personalized

Old 07-09-2008, 06:15 PM
jbt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about personalized plates, but since I already give the state WAY too much money for reg, I can't see that $40+ extra EVERY year!

Quick Reply: I hate the CA DMV!