Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody put 10" ape hangers ona FLHSTC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 02:47 AM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody put 10" ape hangers ona FLHSTC?

My Next project is going to be putting some new bars on my Heritage. I am trying to decide between the " Wild 1" Stock 8.5 Baby Apes and the 10". Was wondering if any body has done the 10" and if you had to extend the wiring or the throttle cables?

Also I know the plugs for the front controls are under the tank some where and was wondering if I could get them apart by just lifting the tank up enough to get my hands in there to pull the plugs apart.

Any info appreciated,

Thanks

Old 03-12-2006, 03:13 AM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master
Default RE: anybody put 10" ape hangers ona FLHSTC?

I think you ought to stop playing around and do some 16"ers. Just messing with ya, I think you should do what you like. I have a buddy who did 12"ers (I think), if I recall correctly he did have to extend all of his wireing and cable's, I think he had to do +6 on all the cable's. So if you wanted to do 10"ers maybe you have to go +4 cable's.

KB

Old 03-12-2006, 09:31 AM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KBES:
Like your pics of the Heritage. I have an 03 Heritage calssic that as we speak are getting 13" apes with 7-8" pullbac so my wrist's are (hopefully) a little straighter, also haveing the internal wiring and ss cables. I'm hoping it will look just like your Heritage pics...

Old 03-12-2006, 01:58 PM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master

ORIGINAL: vulhalla

KBES:
Like your pics of the Heritage.
I'm hoping it will look just like your Heritage pics...
I think you will like the bars on your bike. Thank's for the compliment's but that aint a Heritage, it's a Road King.

KB

Old 03-12-2006, 07:33 PM
vulhalla
Road Master

i know, just admiring....

Old 03-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

I just put some Wild-1 10" mini apes on my '00 Heritage last weekend. I had to add about 4" to the wiring harnesses. I ran the harnesses through the bars and cut into them close to the plugs so the splices are not inside the bars. As for just lifting the tank, if you lift it far enough to unplug the harness, you might as well just lift it right out of the way. Just don't forget to unplug the speedo wiring. I left the stock brake lines and clutch & throtle cables on for now, I will change those though. It's a stretch but they will fit. If the bars were a half inch taller they would not work. Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:31 PM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser

Thanks I just ordered the same bars.

The only cable I am worried about is the clutch because I have to pull my new exhaust back off to change it, which would suck.

I am going to replace the brake cable when I put on the bars with a Braided one.

What did you use for wire, the extender Kit or just the same gauge wire?

Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

The clutch cable is close but seems to work okay. The Wild-1 bars have a bit more pull back and a bit wider. I only have a few miles on them but they seem to be a good choice for comfort. I decided to change the bars while I was replacing a few pieces that got damaged when the parked bike got T-boned by an idiot on a golf cart slaming it to the ground. As for the wiring I just made the extentions from same guage wire. Keep it fun.

Old 03-18-2006, 05:31 PM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser

Well I got it all on, Mostly. I have to order new Throttle cables and I am wondering if I should get 2" or 4". I am going with the stainless steel which are $100 so I do not want to be wrong. I know one poster said the stocks fit but man those are really stretched.

Any body have a recommendations on 2" or 4". I definatly do not want them too long but I want them unstretched also.

I am thinking of the 4" over brake line cause that is less critical in the length dept.

Thanks

Old 03-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

The stock throttle cables might have worked on mine because I changed the carb out a while back. I put a Mikuni 42 on i and now that you mention it, I think the cable hook up it a bit higher than stock. About an inch or so I think but not real sure. I believe that the plus 2 inch should work fine. You could hook up the throttle cables at the grip and route them down the the backbone the way they will be permenetly placed and measure how much more you need. I appologize if my coments were misleading but I furgot about the carb upgrade.

I hope all goes well
Sanford

Quick Reply: anybody put 10" ape hangers ona FLHSTC?