Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Sissy Bars and Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 03:37 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Detachable Sissy Bars and Turn Signals

Did a search on this and couldn't find anything that specifically answered these questions.

I have an '01 Fatboy and am considering putting a detachable sissy bar on my bike. I know that to do this I'm going to have to relocate my turn signals. Just wondering if anyone has pics of the relocated turn signals? Just can't picture in my head what they're going to look like.

Also, when you relocate the turn signals, what happens to the holes in the fender struts where the turn signals were originally located? In other words if you don't have the detachable sissy bar in place, do the holes in the fender struts show? Or is the rear mounting point for the detachable sissy bar go in place of the turn signal mounting point?

Old 03-14-2006, 03:40 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Detachable Sissy Bars and Turn Signals

I'd be interested to see this too.... I have seen a lot of accessories that say that you have to relocate the signals but I have no idea how you pull that off... I have an 06 and unless I am mistaken the turn signals are built into that chrome strip that runs all the way back under the sides of the seat... Do you have to replace that hole piece when you do this kinda thing?

Old 03-14-2006, 06:27 PM
100yrfatboy
Road Captain

They do relocate to the rear of the strut. The hole is filled with a cap that is not really visible. If you hit on my gallery photos. You can sort of see how it looks in my picks on my fatboy. You do loose the cool little sloped piece that extends the signal outward. That must be replaced with a round chrome arm. Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:27 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 100yrfatboy

They do relocate to the rear of the strut. The hole is filled with a cap that is not really visible. If you hit on my gallery photos. You can sort of see how it looks in my picks on my fatboy. You do loose the cool little sloped piece that extends the signal outward. That must be replaced with a round chrome arm. Hope this helps.
What he said.

You lose the sculped chrome piece between the lamp housing (bullet) and the chrome fender struts. Some posters have had issues with the new mounting post breaking. A friend I ride with has replaced 2 of them now.

I would be tempted to check into a light that mounts lower like on the Deluxe or the Heritage.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:12 PM
mudrat_fat05
Cruiser

I installed the detachable sissy bar the day I brought my Fatboy home. When I relocated the lights I was careful to not go crazy and overtighten the post to much. A little loc-tite worked wonders and I havent had any problems at all..
I have a couple images that show what it looks like with and with out the sissy bar, if that helps.

http://spaces.msn.com/rayandsara/photos/?_c02_owner=1

[IMG]local://upfiles/4234/34C781A01CEE4CDC90ED793825C08331.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2006, 10:41 AM
FBFletch
Road Master

Thanks Guys. That helps a ton. I didn't really think I'd like the turn signals relocated but, they look fine.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my detachable Bar installed before I picked it up so I don't really know what it looked like before the install Does this relocation satisfy what is required to put on saddle bags? I was looking into adding leather throw overs but always read that I would need to relocate my turn signals Does this mean they are alrteady relocated and I can add the throw overs with no further changes? Or do they need further relocation back near the tail light? Any info would be appreciated Thanks in advance

Old 03-15-2006, 03:59 PM
FBFletch
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Headwolf

I had my detachable Bar installed before I picked it up so I don't really know what it looked like before the install Does this relocation satisfy what is required to put on saddle bags? I was looking into adding leather throw overs but always read that I would need to relocate my turn signals Does this mean they are alrteady relocated and I can add the throw overs with no further changes? Or do they need further relocation back near the tail light? Any info would be appreciated Thanks in advance
Some saddle bags do require the turn signals to be relocated. However, most throw over bags do not. I have throw overs on my bike right now and the signals are in the stock location. The bigger the bags, the more likely you'll need to relocate the signals. If you have the detachable sissy bar, you have the relocation kit that also accomodates pretty much any type of rigid mount or throw over bag.

Old 03-15-2006, 06:04 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't like the way the relocated signals looked so I took my trusty Dremel tool and grinded away part of the side plates so that they fit right over the stock turn signals. Very easy, and looks pretty darn good. The hardest part was just getting started. I was afraid of screwing something up.

I now have close to 7,000 miles with the sissy bar and the wife and she hasn't fallen off yet so I guess it worked.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:37 AM
FBFletch
Road Master

ORIGINAL: grimm

I didn't like the way the relocated signals looked so I took my trusty Dremel tool and grinded away part of the side plates so that they fit right over the stock turn signals. Very easy, and looks pretty darn good. The hardest part was just getting started. I was afraid of screwing something up.

I now have close to 7,000 miles with the sissy bar and the wife and she hasn't fallen off yet so I guess it worked.
Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see how that looks.

Quick Reply: Detachable Sissy Bars and Turn Signals