Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Up Riding Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts
Default 2 Up Riding Tips

I want to start riding 2 Up and would really appreciate some pointers. I know the obvious - bike starts off line slower, takes longer to stop, more top heavy, dont let passenger point and move around...

Anything that helped you guys learn, please share.
&nbsp\\;

Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 AM
sportncruise
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2 Up Riding Tips

Try to anticipate any stops way ahead of time. Any sudden jerk to the side at a stop off balance puts a lot of weight on your leg. The better the passanger is at leaning with you the better. Make sure they know not to move around at all until you tell them it is ok to dismount, especially on gravel.
2Up is definitely more about the ride and being together, take it slow and easy!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

When you say "lean", do you mean they should also lean with me into and out of turns, and follow my upper body?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Pooh AKA Bear
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: sportncruise

Try to anticipate any stops way ahead of time. Any sudden jerk to the side at a stop off balance puts a lot of weight on your leg. The better the passanger is at leaning with you the better. Make sure they know not to move around at all until you tell them it is ok to dismount, especially on gravel.
2Up is definitely more about the ride and being together, take it slow and easy!
Good advice! Only thing I would add is make sure you give them the OK before they mount, if you're not ready, then you will fall over!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:37 AM
sportncruise
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: KumaRide

When you say "lean", do you mean they should also lean with me into and out of turns, and follow my upper body?

Yes.
This will be a learning experience for both. If they stay straight or lean the other direction turning will be very difficult. They have more control over the bike than you do!!!!!!! Think of a skate board and you putting pressure on the rear to move the front around. With the additional body mass it will actually make turning easier.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Toneaero
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The passenger has to be just as aware as you are in riding. The passenger should anticipate the stop lights as well as other traffic with their body position.&nbsp\\; For example: When the light is about to turn green, the passenger should hold on tighter.&nbsp\\; When coming up to the stop sign, the passenger should tighten their leg muscles and place weight on the foot pegs.&nbsp\\; etc....

Old 08-05-2008, 09:43 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Well said mate
I remember carrying my gf on a Sport bike 15 years ago, she sat way too high, kind of hard to balance the bike.

ORIGINAL: sportncruise

Old 08-05-2008, 09:44 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Get a sissy bar and do a wheelie [sm=happybounce.gif]
ORIGINAL: Toneaero

For example: When the light is about to turn green, the passenger should hold on tighter.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 AM
meccariello
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went 2up with my woman on the way to the harley dealer to pick up her bike after the 1k service. neither of us really liked 2up. granted it was 1st time for both of us (we both have heritages)
&nbsp\\;
when i got to the dealer i said "ok bitch, get the hell off my bike and go ride your own, that sucked". she said "i agree assface, i am going to ride my own bike, 2up sucks. love ya, bye" lol

Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 AM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Best advice - Get their own bike! Just kidding. You have to remember the bike will handle a lot differently becuase of the added weight and location. The bike will not stop as quickly as it does with a solo rider. Additionally any movement, especially at slow speeds (slowing down for a stop light, etc) can really have an impact on the balance. My Rocker sits my wife up very high and as a result her movements are very noticable. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: 2 Up Riding Tips