Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10K maintenance paranoia?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 PM
xltjim
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 10K maintenance paranoia?

Hi all. I got through performing my first maintenance on the bike (2006 heritage softail classic). Great feeling of accomplishment and I have been learning quite a bit. I followed the service manual and torqued to specs. Do you guys torque the spark and drain plugs? I did as per the manual and it sure seemed like they were never going to tighten but eventually reached the torque. I don't mean to say that they felt stripped. So now, my paranoid mind is left wondering if I am in for any surprises next time. No leaks, but it seems like I can feel around the plug on the tranny that the o-ring got torn. I did use thread sealant on it. Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think I've ever used a torque wrench for the drain plugs on anything I've ever owned. Have always done my own service on my rides and always tighten the plugs and drain bolts to where they feel tight to me. Have never had one strip or come loose. Maybe lucky or tight feel really is tight. Never tore an o-ring and usually replace them after the third or fourth change. Never used thread sealant on the drain plugs. Do use a thread grease on the spark plugs so they don't seize.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
I don't think I've ever used a torque wrench for the drain plugs on anything I've ever owned. Have always done my own service on my rides and always tighten the plugs and drain bolts to where they feel tight to me. Have never had one strip or come loose. Maybe lucky or tight feel really is tight. Never tore an o-ring and usually replace them after the third or fourth change. Never used thread sealant on the drain plugs. Do use a thread grease on the spark plugs so they don't seize.
Same thoughts here. I have a inch lb. and a foot lb. torque wrench, but I don't use them on nonessential drain plugs,etc. Cars have a torque setting for their drain plugs, but I doubt if anyone uses a torque wrench on them. I would much rather use my feel, on things like drain plugs, spark plugs,etc., then take a chance of stripping them using a torque wrench.
Tom