Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new deluxe-help for tall guy please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 PM
roqueweiler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new deluxe-help for tall guy please!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

Recently bought my first bike ever, a 2005 Softail deluxe. I absolutely love the retro look of the bike, but at 6'2" with a 34.5" inseam, I need to move back.

Some questions:
1. Will sculpting the seat as per the how-to thread be good enough? (or even good enough for now?)

2. Does the Corbin Classic solo move me back at all? Could anyone here who rides one please advise?

3. What year's seat from a Heritage fits the Deluxe and do they move the rider back?

4. Does the 'go forward floorboard extension' kit from Cycle-visions (part cv 302) fit the deluxe and work as advertised giving a full 2" floorboard movement?

5. What do you think of the deluxe as a beginner's bike? (225 lbs and a good downhill, north shore, mtn biker who hasn't been on a street bike for 30 years and that was a friend's 650cc yamaha touring style)

Some more info:
bike has highway pegs which I can take or leave; I'm not sold.
I don't want forward controls.
I hate the tall boy seat.

Thanks in advance from a complete noob!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sculpting the seat may help move you back some but I think I would give Corbin a call and see if they have a seat that will do what you want. My friend is 6'7" and they had a seat for his bike that fit him almost perfect. Hiway pegs can be put on adjustable mounts to put them at the right distance for your legs. I wouldn't change the floorboards until you've done the seat to see what that does for you. The Deluxe like most of the softail family is a very balanced bike for you to get used to riding.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

I'm a tall rider on a heritage. I moved the floorboards forward and got extended brake pedal arm and shifter. Helped a lot! If the handlebars are too close, a new seat may help. Try Bubba's Brakes for floorboard kit. Comes with brake pedal arm and shifter.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm 6' 2" with a 34 inseam and ride a 05 Fatboy and am comfortable, I have the extended brake pedal and shifter, C & C seat ( lowers me 1.5 " and back about 2 ") changed the bars to Wild Ones.

The Deluxe is the same basic bike but with the seat, bars and floor boards I felt a little cramped and felt the fatboy had more leg room which was one of the reasons that I picked it.

There is no reason that you cant make a few changes an get comfortable, I would start with a seat and then try the bars and floorboards. Kuryakyn also makes a floorboard kit to move them forward.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:33 AM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm 6'2 and found the deluxe a little cramped ... i think the stock bars didn;t help. floorboard extensions should help you

Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
the salt
Advanced

Same boat here... 08 Deluxe, 6'2", 230. I also am thinking of beach bars, floorboard extensions and a different seat. Around town I am fine, but would definitely like to stretch out a bit on longer rides.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 AM
choctaw1
Advanced

i have a 07 deluxe as my first bike and no problems so far. I put a stock 07 heritage seat on mine and its way more comfy and i also lowered my handlebars a bit and that made it a bit more comfortable for me. Im 6 2 with a 34" inseam

Old 08-07-2008, 11:11 AM
creb
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'1 on a deluxe and a new seat will make a huge difference. That seat was meant to push the rider forward. Taking off the risers and getting new bars (whatever style you want) was a huge help too. You can do other small things, but those two will make the most difference.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:47 AM
JonnyDeluxe
Intermediate

I'm 6'2", 215 lbs. on an '05 Deluxe - put on a Corbin seat (Classic Solo) a couple months ago, and it made a world of difference - may eventually add the floorboard extensions, but changing to that seat made all the difference.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:18 PM
deluxe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also 6'2" and ride a 2006 Deluxe. Changed my seat out for a 01 Springer seat(the one with the backrest) and it made a huge difference. My back stopped hurting.
I also ride with cruise arms out from the floorboards - helps a lot.
I'm also changing my bars out so i can lose the risers.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: new deluxe-help for tall guy please!