Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

washing new deluxe

Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default washing new deluxe

i know this is the stupidest question in the world, but this bike is BRAND NEW and I don't want to screw anything up.

with my sportster, i'd spray s100 all over the bike, rinse thoroughly, blow dry with a leaf blower and then wax with mcguires tech wax. I'd also put a plastic bag over the speedo as it liked to accumulate moisture.

With the deluxe- the speedo's on the tank and i can't cover it with a bag. Then there's the leather trim down the tank....

so, can i just spray the whole darn thing with s100, rinse, blowdry and wax? am i gonna hurt the leather or pleather trim? what about the speedo? it has already gotten a little foggy riding it in the extremely humid weather right now (dried right up nicely)..

I'd like to think that I can wash this bike like the sportster, but i'm throwing out the question to you guys to see if there's a better way to do it.
thanks,
Rob

Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
mke125125
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should put plastic bags over the switch housings on the hadle bars. water sprays right in there and will run down inside your cables and rust your adjusters.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
jwsj
2nd Gear

I've had my deluxe for two months. I received the S100 cleaning kit from the dealer with my purchase. I don't cover anything and have not had any problems. The leaf blower saves alot of time.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 PM
stubbz951
Intermediate

When you get the leather dash panel wet it stretches out a bit and gets loose. it goes back when it dries, also if you have a power commander do no spray the o2 sensor, i've had some weird things go on after a wash

Old 08-08-2008, 11:11 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Try to avoid spraying directly onto the speedo and fuel gauge, do not use pressure washer, you will be fine.
WARNING: You will not be able to sell the bike as 'Never seen rain' from this moment

Old 08-08-2008, 11:32 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wash mine with the same stuff I wash my cars with, Turtle Wax Zip Wash. Basically fill up a bucket with the stuff and sponge wash it after lightly hosing down the tank, motor, and fenders, and chrome stuff, then dry it with chamios (probably spelled wrong). Once it is dry I detail it with HD Glaze UV protector using the disposable HD soft cloth the dealer gave me with the bike. I have never let the speedo, or any controls get wet.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:44 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After riding for 20+ yrs and spending a good part of that riding in the rain, I don't understand the concerns about getting your bike wet... it's designed to operate OUTSIDE, in all weather! As long as you clean it on a regular basis and lube all the points your operators manual suggests, INCLUDING the cables, you won't have any problems. Don't be skeered, congrats on the new bike BTW!!

Old 08-09-2008, 07:25 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks guys! I appreciate it. gonna go wash it in a few minutes. I've done this a million times with my sportster, so it should not be such an event.

asfathog17- I gotta ask... How do you avoid getting the speedo wet if you are "lightly hosing down the tank..."? I don't think I have that much control over the hose! ha ha.

rob

Old 08-09-2008, 07:59 AM
smitbrad
Tourer

It's made to get wet! I wash mine with regular car wash and a wool hand mit. Twice a year I wax it with Zymol and polish the chrome with Mothers. I'm carefull not to spray a lot of water over the speedo....never had a problem with moiture.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:59 AM
zell90r94
Intermediate

Treat it like your sporty.... It is made to get wet.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: washing new deluxe