Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Up Riding on Fatboy with Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Legalcarry
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Up Riding on Fatboy with Saddlebags

For those of you who ride two up on a Fatboy and have saddlebags, I have a question. I have the original shotgun type exhaust with Screamin Eagle slip ons. To mount bags, I'd have to install them fairly high to keep them off the exhaust, like in the attached picture (picture courtesy of Fox Creek Leather site). It looks like the bags would be in the way of the passenger's leg, and her ability to put her feet on the pegs, or at least make it difficult. So, would bags mounted like this interfere with her ability to sit normally on the passenger pillion, put her feet on the pegs, and ride in relative comfort? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Two Up Riding on Fatboy with Saddlebags-foxcreekfatboy.jpg  
Old 08-10-2008, 06:57 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't think they would interfere. You could put some larger bags on there though if you changed your pipes.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

Have "her" sit on it and tell ya what she thinks. There is a problem with stock pipes on Fatboys and Deluxes with mods other than just bags. Wait until she wants footboards.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Legalcarry
Cruiser

Originally Posted by acchd
I don't think they would interfere. You could put some larger bags on there though if you changed your pipes.
I'm leaning toward the bags offered at Fox Creek Leather. From the pictures I've seen on their site, their bags seem to fit okay with the factory exhaust, but just from looking at the picture, I thought they may cause a problem for a passenger. At the moment, I'm trying to keep the exhaust I have and purchase only bags, but time, and I guess the responses I get, will tell what I eventually do.

Originally Posted by CrawdadAZ
Have "her" sit on it and tell ya what she thinks. There is a problem with stock pipes on Fatboys and Deluxes with mods other than just bags. Wait until she wants footboards.
So far so good.....no requests for footboards!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:16 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont know about the bag mount with the shot gun exhaust, but be very carefull with throw over saddle bags, if not carefull they will rub through the paint on your rear fender really quick. I know because Ive had it happen to me on my last bike. Just my .02

Old 08-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Legalcarry
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
I dont know about the bag mount with the shot gun exhaust, but be very carefull with throw over saddle bags, if not carefull they will rub through the paint on your rear fender really quick. I know because Ive had it happen to me on my last bike. Just my .02
Thanks for the tip. I'm considering Easybrackets along with the bags too.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:02 PM
fbhawg
Tourer

Take a real serious look before buying bags for shotguns. They don't even hold a jacket. pretty big dollars for very little storage. Take a look at a Lonestar 4 T-Bag, you can stick it on just when you need it.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a pic of mine with bags attached using easy brackets.

It works fairly well... still working on footboards.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Legalcarry
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fbhawg2
Take a real serious look before buying bags for shotguns. They don't even hold a jacket. pretty big dollars for very little storage. Take a look at a Lonestar 4 T-Bag, you can stick it on just when you need it.
Thanks. These are the bags I was considering. They are 11.5x17.5x5.5. I guess it would be tough to fit a leather jacket into that space.
Originally Posted by Yosemite
Here's a pic of mine with bags attached using easy brackets.
It works fairly well... still working on footboards.
Almost like having two different bikes...nice...

Attached Thumbnails Two Up Riding on Fatboy with Saddlebags-89_1_side_1_225x185.jpg  
Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

As fbhawg2 said if you're just looking for some economical($100-$150) storage a nice T-bag strapped to the back of that sissy bar is a viable solution. I've bought a Tourmaster T-bag pack w/roll bag early on when my bike was new. I still use it occasionally on long trips along with my saddlebags. If you're deadset on saddlebags I'd recommend looking at a detachable/lockable bag and one that'll fit your stock pipes are the Boss bag 34's. http://www.bossbags.com/index.html

Quick Reply: Two Up Riding on Fatboy with Saddlebags