Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sportster 883 to heritage softail

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Kristine
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sportster 883 to heritage softail

Has anyone here gone directly from a sporty to a heritage? I'm considering it and am curious if it's too much of a jump up...I also want to know if there is a big difference in handling. i live in NH and do alot of twisties - the sporty handles those great - but i don't like the way it feels when riding at 50+ mph and not very comfortable on longer (80+ mile) rides.

Oh - and i'm only 5-4 and really like the mid-controls - so not sure about the forward reach.

any info would be great - thanks!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i had two sportys in the past, about 25 years ago. first was a hard tail chopper the second was all stock. then i bought a fxstc about 3 years ago. the only difference i noticed was it has a lot more weight to it. as for handling, as the instructor that gave the motorcycle class i took said, theres no difference. the same techniques are used in all size bikes. you have to have a little more respect for a bigger bike. if you lay it down your not going to just ****** it up as easy as a sporty. i know, i laid my down and picked it back up by the handle bars and cracked the area in the bars where the wires come out at the bottom. id go for the bigger bike, rides is more comfortable, bike is going to hold its value better, and hey how many times do you here: sportys are for girls.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:40 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Go for it! you wont regret it. The Heritage is a great bike, and is not a big jump. It is so easy to ride that I think it makes a better starter bike than the Sporty. I started out on an 04 Fat Boy, and it was maybe a little big to start out on (my first street bike) but within a week I was feeling comfortable. Handling will not be like the Sporty, but is not bad, and will still be fun in the twisties after you get used to it. I think the Heritage is the best all around bike made, and the best value in the HD lineup. JMHO.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Kristine
Intermediate

Well I'm certainly leaning in that direction. I've heard that they are really comfortable and easy to ride - but that's the dealer talking - so I wanted to hear from ppl who actually ride them.

thanks!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:01 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should not have any problem with the Heritage. But you should sit on a bunch of different bikes and possibly take them for test rides. You might find the chick bike Deluxe a little more comfortable.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Kristine
Intermediate

I will check them all out. But honestly, I really like the Street Bob - so it'll be an interesting decision...

Old 08-11-2008, 11:34 AM
ican
Tourer
Default 883 to soft tail

My wife went from a Honda Aero 750 to a flstc. She didn't have a problem with the transition. She also has ridden an 883, and say's the flstc is easier to ride.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 PM
bloomington g
Road Captain

Yes. Switching from a Sportster to a Heritage is possible... ;^)

I had a 1200C. The Heritage is easier to handle. It is also heavier, and slower in the twisties. The Sportster was light, fast, and nimble around town in traffic, but it Heritage beats the Sportster hands down on style, rider ergos and ride comfort.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Kristine
Intermediate

thanks for the info. I do a lot of in-town riding, but on weekends, love to do long day trips with other riders. Since I'm the one with the smallest bike, we're always stopping for me (gas) and I'm always the most uncomfortable. I'm considering a mustang wide for now until I upgrade.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:42 PM
windix60
Cruiser

My wife went from a 883 custom to a heritage and she loves it. Rides so much better and easier to handle the ride is not as harsh and with the counterbalanced motor the vibration is gone. my wife is 5'4" as well and has carpel tunnel in her hands and she does not have a problem with the bike.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by windix60; 08-11-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply: sportster 883 to heritage softail