Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP springer

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:42 PM
brphd1
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP springer

i have a 1998 fxsts. its my first springer but it feels like it shakes a whole lot more then it is suppose to. i can even hear the springs chatter against each other. is this normanl? what could cause this? thanks alot, Brian Brphd1@yahoo.com

Old 08-11-2008, 07:31 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

You'll hear clanging, banging and squeeking....Is it a shake or a front end wobble..For a wobble.....Check the front tire for wear, check the spokes, and check the head bearings.

Also you didn't mention what any other bike was...An evo inherently will shake more than a twin cam.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 AM
pwalsh1019
Cruiser

I have a 07' Springer and there is no wobble and no banging.....

Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an 06 with just under 15K. No maintenance of the front end except inspections and bearing lube. I have no odd noises that I am aware of.

Have it looked at. Head bearings or other adjustments/replacements could be necessary if what you are describing is abnormal.

You likely have more going on than just this but I have heard a few people say they bend the internal springs to keep them tight against outer springs and reduces twang from them but performance is unaffected.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Chaos
Tourer

Mine is an 04. The only thing I hear is the shock compressing on big bumps and no shake at all.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
panamoncreel
Tourer

I've got an '06 and noticed a lot more "pogo'ing" (for lack of a better term) when cornering hard just before my 10k. The actual 10k service involves completely taking that front end apart and re-assembling for proper specs. Once that was done, everything was tip top again.

Has your Springer ever had it's front end adjusted / re-assembled?

Old 11-30-2008, 07:55 AM
brphd1
Stage II
Default wheel fittment, need help!

alright, here it is. i have a 21'' HD Lightning Star front wheel that came off of a 2000 fxst softail standard. I own a 1998 fxsts softail springer. will this wheel bolt right up or do i have a change the hub out or what. i keep hearing different stories. can anyone help? thanks alot! , brphd1@yahoo.com

Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 AM
huddy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i have always herd you don't change the tire size on springers. they are ment for the size they are built for dealing with the rake and all. i would dig deep to get the right answer for that one.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by huddy
i have always herd you don't change the tire size on springers. they are ment for the size they are built for dealing with the rake and all. i would dig deep to get the right answer for that one.
this is mentioned a few times in the service manual, it basically says if you mess with it, you're on your own

Zach has a bunch of info together in a thread, here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ht=springer+21

Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't say for sure but reasonably confident that all FX Springers have a 21" front wheel. That being the case I think you are good to go. Only variance would be the spacers if new wheel hub is different width than stock.

Originally Posted by brphd1
alright, here it is. i have a 21'' HD Lightning Star front wheel that came off of a 2000 fxst softail standard. I own a 1998 fxsts softail springer. will this wheel bolt right up or do i have a change the hub out or what. i keep hearing different stories. can anyone help? thanks alot! , brphd1@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: NEED HELP springer