Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burly Beach Bars on 05 Deluxe Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Gr3y
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burly Beach Bars on 05 Deluxe Help!!

I am about ready to order these bars and the 1.5" riser for them. Going to do the install with a friend of mine when they get in. Have a few questions about the process.

1. It appears that the throttle and idle cable are ok in length and do not need to be replace. Any find out different?

2. My front break line is a hard line and will not work. I do not know the size I need to order for a new front break line. Anyone know what it may be or the best way to find out?

3. Going to run the wires in the bar. From what I have read it is easier to cut, extend, solder and re-wrap. Anyone have any good tricks on making this whole process easier or to go smooth?

Thanks in advance.

Grey

Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I put on my chubby 504's (07' Deluxe), also did SS cables. I used same length throttle and idle cables.

The front brake, I went with a 2 piece design from Magnum Chromite. Not sure what you mean be a hard line? Is the hard line the piece attached to the backside of nacelle connecting the top and bottom half brake lines? I would get bars and everything else installed, then measure up what you need for the brake line. Will take out the guess work..

For wiring, I would remove pins from connectors. I would either take the tank off (drain and remove crossover.. no big deal), or you can slide the tank down the frame enough to get at the connectors. I have molex connectors, and pretty easy to remove pins with a paper clip. The manual should tell you if you have molex or Deustch, or someone on this forum probably knows for an 05'. I made my own extenders (bought pins from local HD). I also stripped the stock casing from the cables, and used heat shrink. Made it tighter, smaller, and much easier to pull.

REALLY NOT A BIG DEAL. I know local HD will just cut and solder. Otherwise they would charge even more $$$.. good luck

Old 08-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Gr3y
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronyd
When I put on my chubby 504's (07' Deluxe), also did SS cables. I used same length throttle and idle cables.

The front brake, I went with a 2 piece design from Magnum Chromite. Not sure what you mean be a hard line? Is the hard line the piece attached to the backside of nacelle connecting the top and bottom half brake lines? I would get bars and everything else installed, then measure up what you need for the brake line. Will take out the guess work..

For wiring, I would remove pins from connectors. I would either take the tank off (drain and remove crossover.. no big deal), or you can slide the tank down the frame enough to get at the connectors. I have molex connectors, and pretty easy to remove pins with a paper clip. The manual should tell you if you have molex or Deustch, or someone on this forum probably knows for an 05'. I made my own extenders (bought pins from local HD). I also stripped the stock casing from the cables, and used heat shrink. Made it tighter, smaller, and much easier to pull.

REALLY NOT A BIG DEAL. I know local HD will just cut and solder. Otherwise they would charge even more $$$.. good luck
Thanks for the info!! Yes the hard piece that connects to the back of the nacelle. Is it possible to just replace the break line from the hand break to the hardline connected to the back of the nacelle? I am staying with black break lines. My bike is black and chrome and I think it will look really good. Do you feel it is easier to just extend the connectors instead of cutting and soldering?

Grey