Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get a grip

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 PM
jmg343
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get a grip

Hows changing the grips on these hotrods. Mine's a softail custom. Any precautions, suggestions, hints, tips, how-to's, do's, don'ts? Looking to get new grips any day now and gonna swap em out myself. Any info appreciated as usual.
tia

Old 08-13-2008, 03:50 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About a three on a scale of one to ten. Read the instructions, take your time and whatever you do, don't lose the brass ferrule on the throttle and idle cables. If you have a manual, read the section on proper adjustment of the cables. If you don't get them adjusted back correctly, you may not have full throttle capacity.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:16 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd call it a 2/10 (if you have a manual or have done it before) where adding fuel is 1/10.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:57 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd put the fuel at about three as well. I never can figure out where to stand and where to put my gas cap.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:59 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its an easy job, just be carefull not to loose the brass furrel on the end of the throttle cables ( they cost 4 bucks, dont ask me how I know that.) and when taking off your front break lever, be carfull not to break the break light switch. You will be just fine, just take your time and pay attention to what your doing.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

The Harley aftermarket ones don't need to be glued on. The Kury ones do.
I did mine and it was cake. I did drop the brass ferrule but Murphys law must not have applied that time.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:24 PM
CrimsonThunder
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, let me jump in on this with a question of my own. I just changed my grips tonight, went for a ride to try them out, and my security light (the little red key on the speedo) came on and stayed on. I pull over thinking maybe I started it too fast and freaked it out or something, figured I'd turn everything off and back on to reset it. Shut it down and when I turned it back on, the key came on and went right back off like usual, then in a few seconds, came on and stayed on. Hit start, and nothing happened.

Now, for full disclosure, when I installed the clutch side grip, as I was screwing the housing back together, a spring fell out of it with a little rubber end on it. No idea where it came from, or where it goes. I assumed it was to keep the horn button out or something, but it seemed to still work, so I just threw it in my pocket and said "Forget it." Now I'm wondering if this is the problem. Any suggestions? I'm a good hour and 15 minutes from my stealer and hate to take it up if I don't have to. But it is under warranty.

Are they gonna give me grief because it happened when I was changing the grips myself, rather than paying them to do it?

Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 PM
skips69
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That spring and plunger (?) probably had something to do with the neutral safety switch. Just take the housing back off and reattach it. It works/fits just like the front brake switch plunger on the opposite side as I recall. I dropped it out of mine too and had to work it back in.......................

Old 08-13-2008, 07:40 PM
CrimsonThunder
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a tiny plunger if that's what it is. It's no bigger than the head of a small screw.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 PM
OkieRoadWarrior66
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was changing out my grips today...lost both ferrules (one in the grass). I found one of them. I have a magnet, but it doesn't pick up brass, of course. I'll call the local dealer (60 miles away) and see if he can ship me a new one.

Now I have a question. I was putting the original grips back on and noticed that the clutch side grip was stuck to my old bars. After installing it on my new bars, it turns. What's the best adhesive for attaching that grip? And how do you slide it on with the adhesive?

Quick Reply: Get a grip