Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Cable Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Clutch Cable Install

I'm replacing my clutch cable with a Diamond Back braided, I already did bith brakes, is there anything special I should know before starting this project? BTW..I've never replaced a clutch cable on a street bike, only 2 strokes.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 PM
strippedthread1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is easy. By looking at your picture, you will have to remove the exhaust.
I do it without draining the tranny fluid. I take two 2-4's a foot long or so and place one in front of each tire. I roll back a bit and then roll the bike on the 2x4's. This allows the bike to lean over pretty far on the kickstand preventing the oil from drain when you remove the cover. If you do it like this, you might get 4 or 5 drops drip out and that is all. You will need snap ring pliers. Depending on how old your cable is(how much it has stretched) you might have to go into the derby cover and adjust the clutch there to ensure you have room to adjust the cable later. I've done this procedure for 13 years and it works great.
PM me if you would like more info.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strippedthread1
I do it without draining the tranny fluid. I take two 2-4's a foot long or so and place one in front of each tire. I roll back a bit and then roll the bike on the 2x4's. This allows the bike to lean over pretty far on the kickstand preventing the oil from drain when you remove the cover. If you do it like this, you might get 4 or 5 drops drip out and that is all. You will need snap ring pliers. Depending on how old your cable is(how much it has stretched) you might have to go into the derby cover and adjust the clutch there to ensure you have room to adjust the cable later. I've done this procedure for 13 years and it works great.
Strippedthread very glad you have joined the forum. Your advice is right on. We need more to the point information here. Thanks... Bluesss

Old 08-13-2008, 09:50 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good advice given here. One more thing though, not that the new HD clutches are hard to pull by any means, you might want to condiser getting something like the reduced effort clutch kit from HD or the White brothers EZ boy clutch just to make it a little easier on the hands. You are already going to be in the tranny to replace the old cable, might as well kill 2 birds with one stone. Or even both because the work in different ways.

Works in the Tranny

http://www.chopperscycle.com/page/VTS/PROD/38-290/21415

Or use in conjunction with the HD kit

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by sonar_chris; 08-13-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Bwana55419
Cruiser

You might want to get a new gasket. I think it is around $12.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by strippedthread1
Great hint!...worked like a charm.
Thanks All!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i did my cable and installed the MRC easy clutch ball and ramp, made a big difference. if you notice in the picture of the easy boy setup youll see that the cable, after installation to the extension on the ball and ramp, is now at a angle and i figure it would, over time, wear through the housing. plus there are some people that cant get enough movement the the release with the easyboy to fully disengage there clutch. makes sense, you move the pivot point out and your not moving it as far when you pull it. the right way is the MRC and there are a few other places that make a easy clutch ball and ramp setup. the MRC is sold only by harley davidson so you figure it has to work otherwise why would they sell, install, it.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:13 PM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the people that installed the clutch cable via the 2x4 method by strippedthread1. Are the 2x4 boards high enough so that you don't lose much oil?

I have my bike up on the boards now and leaning to the left, but I thought it would be leaning more. maybe I'm just paranoid, but i didn't want to take an oil bath. My diamondback clutch cable is my last cable to install.

Did it leak much for you, especially since modern 2x4s aren't really 2 inches thick.

Thanks if anyone can chime in with a bit of advice.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not just replace the Tranny Fluid? It can't hurt and it will be good as new....

I realize saving money is a good thing but unless you are changing Clutch Cables every week what's the big deal with using new fluid?

Mike
NY

Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mike NY
Why not just replace the Tranny Fluid? It can't hurt and it will be good as new....

I realize saving money is a good thing but unless you are changing Clutch Cables every week what's the big deal with using new fluid?

Mike
NY
I agree...doesn't cost much!!

Quick Reply: Clutch Cable Install