Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:09 PM
thundergod
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuner question

i need an explanation please. all of the tuners ( fuel pak, power commander etc.) only work in closed loop which is about 50% throttle. what do we do about the cruising range which is where i spend 90% of my riding time. some one explain what i am missing here. thanks.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:43 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Closed loop works in much more map area then just 50% throttle. Your cruise range would be in Closed loop unless your cruise range is full throttle or very low lugging rpm's.
The PCIII eliminates the closed loop with O2 sensor eliminators. Unless you are talking about the PCIIIX which still utilizes the closed loop sections. Then that system allows some tuning of the open loop sections of the map but is limited.
Fuel Pack I know nothing about. If it keeps the closed loop system in tact it would only change fuel ratios in the open loop sections.
But I think you have closed loop and open loop confused/backwards. Are you after richening your cruise range and the majority of your fuel mapping? If so you need a tune device such as SERT,PCIII,DTT TCFI, Tmax or some other full tune device. The ones I feel are the best money spent are SERT or DTT TCFI. The Tmax is ok and would be better if it had a load variable ignition system. Tmax with the same rpm and throttle position will have the same spark curve going down a hill or climbing a mountain changing only the fuel ratio. SERT and DTT TCFI use the Manifold Absolute Pressure for ignition advance curve and will change timing with load demand.
The DTT TCFI requires knowledge of tuning and computer software it is not for everyone. That is there biggest issue. SERT on the other hand is taught through Harley and you will find people who know it well all across the country.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:19 PM
thundergod
Tourer

yes i probably do have them backwards. yes i would like to richen it up in the crusing area. i have added V&H short shots and i am getting decel popping i also installed xied"s i am still running the stock ac i wanted to see how the xied's worked before going all the way. i am assuming that if it is popping which is a sign of being lean that if i changed the ac it would just get worse. so now i need to decide which route i want to go.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:48 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Thundergod, you are from my part of the country!! I put short shots, SE/AC, XIED's, just got back from Sturgis, 5300 miles round trip from Port Richey, Florida with alot of riding there!! no problems at all. Mabee we can hook up sometime.

Last edited by DECON BLUE; 08-22-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:59 PM
thundergod
Tourer

how does it run any popping on decel. i see your2007 sporster but you have a pick of a night train. must have done the same thing i did bought 07 sporty when they first came out with the 07's when the 08's came out traded for the night train. hell yeah we need to meet up somtime and ride always looking for people to ride with.