Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:05 PM
jb27
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '04 Fat Boy

I'm in the market for my 1st HD and have a real general question. My local shop has an '04 Fat Boy with only 3700 miles. It is the regular model with a carburetor. Talking with a friend, he mentioned that I should try to get one with fuel injection. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts and experience is with this bike and if i should hold off until i find one with fuel injection.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:31 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with a carb. Its easy to work on, will hardly ever fail you and is cheep to fix. the down side is that you'll have to use a choke when its cold, they are more cantankerous (usually). The advantage of fuel injection is the control you have over the system to tune it optimally for the way you ride, a carb is more best guess. The disadvantage of FI is more to break and costs more to fix. You really wont go wrong either way, but if your going to work on the bike yourself, get the carb, it will be easier.

That being said, I have an 06 Fatboy with fuel injection, I do all my work and the injection hasn't failed me yet.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:35 PM
conroskie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with carbed bikes. If the price is right jump on it! A properly tuned carbed bike will give you no problems. Myself I prefer carburated... You'll never get the same potato potato potato sound from an injected bike. I believe Harley went with injection to meet the strict EPA standards that they are forced to comply to. Is injected better than carburated? It depends on what your looking for, there are pro's and con's to both.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:24 AM
RBurn
Intermediate
Location: Northern Calif.. No not SF... I mean Northern Calif!!!

IMO I'd stay away from the Carb... no need when FI will take care of you, no waiting for warm ups and when you mod later you can remap, not have to rejet, also depends on altitude I think FI is better.

What really sucks on a carb is you have to wait for warm ups and then you get possible hesitation if it's not warmed and ready to go.

I was driving a titan earlier this summer and it was awwsome, but let it cool off and start it and wait until it's warmed up or it sputtered etc, i know a titan is not a stock harley but i'm sure it's similar on a stock hd motor with a carb.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:24 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you can't master the enrichener (choke), then you shouldn't be trusted to handle the operation of the clutch, brakes and throttle either.
The modern CV carb is very forgiving of changes in elevation, especially if modified with the '88 Sporty 1200 idle jet needle. And it has always seemed to get better fuel mileage than the FI bikes. I've had a lightly modified CV carb that has needed no attention for the last 8 years.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:39 PM
thundergod
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing wrong with carbs. alot easier when you make mods.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:46 PM
billfitt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 04 carbed fatboy and I don't regret it one bit. I ride year round and it may take a while for it to warm up in the cold months but it's not a problem. I wouldn't shy away from a carb bike at all.

bill

Old 08-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

As far as using the choke. I don't ever use mine anymore on my 2000 Fatboy. It is not cold natured at all.

Shakey