Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 PM
bloodyhead
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage ignition problem

When I stop for fuel or a short break, I go to restart the bike and I lose all ignition lights and starter power. I always flip it into neutral and engage the clutch and wait for the pump to catch up,but all I get is a slight starter bump and its like a fuse blows. I wait about ten minutes more and tuen the switch on and off three times and the power comes back on with the clock flashing. Anyone else have this problem or have any ideals as to the cause and fix for this problem?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never heard of that but I'm guessing your starter is not disengaging properly thus draining your electrical system when you hit the button. Maybe someone else has experience this before.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:53 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I'd lost all the lights(neutral,oil speedo lights etc)when I tried to start my bike couple yrs ago. It first happened when I was on coast so I wondered if salt air may have bought the problem out. I'd jiggle the switch between positions and finally would get lights and could start up. I told local HD parts guy at HD of Myrtle Beach and he told me it was probably the ignition switch. It happend several times more and I was getting paranoid about getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. When I got back home I replaced the switch and no problems ever since. You can get a Drag Specialties ignition switch for around $40. If you want a HD one with key same as your forks you have to special order it and it's around $100.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might check your ground wiring. Sounds like a ground problem to me. If that checks out go for the ignition switch.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take the battery cables loose, clean them up and the battery posts. Disconnect the battery cable where it grounds to the frame and clean it up. If that doesn't help I would take the ignition switch out and clean it up. If that doesn't do it I would replace the switch.
Tom

Old 08-19-2008, 01:02 PM
bloodyhead
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the battery connections and they were a little loose and I was able to tighten them about 1/2 to 3/4 turn each.What I did find was the negative battery cable bolt head was digging into some wiring and one was close to shorting out and may even be shorting somewhat at times. I wraped the wires with elitrical tape and padded the bolt head with three strips of tape for the time being until I can get a better looking fix. Thanks guys for all the replys and help................Bloodyhead

Old 08-19-2008, 02:33 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you clean the battery and cable ends or just re-tighten them. My cables were barely loose, but it was enough to build up corrison, that I had to use a wire brush to clean off.
Tom