Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i went for saftey training & found a Softail on the way home

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 PM
bottleofrye
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i went for saftey training & found a Softail on the way home

hello fellas ,

It was 1 of those " buddie was hurting for $ & I just happen , too have $ " deals .

I admit , I know very little about HD's but i knew this was a steal .

First , Let me introduce my self . My name is Scott, i am 28 & i live in the land of ice & snow ( canada ) . I am a bit of a wrench & have my own facilities to do almost anything ( from machining - specialty welding ) .

I almost forgot , this is the first HD I have ever owned . Don't be turned away just yet ! I ride motocross , infact ... My dirtbike should have wing nuts on it /w all the times i have spit the cases .

The bike - 1990 softtail FL_? With 13000 kms , a pile of NEW extra parts , saddle bags , a fat boy rear wheel etc.

That fat boy rear wheel would look O so cherry ! I tryed to swap it only to find that , the tire was to wide . The belt was going to rub & there was no way around it .
Q: will a fat boy wheel fit on the rear of my softail ?

It looks to me that i willl have to machine a seris of spacers to get the disc to line up with caliper & install a more narrow tire . My calcualtions say that : when existing driven sheave is bolted to the fatboy wheel . The center line changes by roughly 5/16 " ( sticks out ) .

Q: does HD manuf. different hub depths on their " driven sheaves " ?

This HD has had 2 owners & had been neglected for its last few years . The clear coat on the cases is starting to go & was wondering if u fellas had any idea of the process involved to restore it to a shine ?

heres a photo of my new toy , what do u guys think its worth ?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-19-2008, 03:03 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

congrats and welcome! I can't say what the bike is worth, but I can say that's one hell of a rear tire you've got there. wow!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:39 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Thumbs up Congrats

Originally Posted by mplecha
congrats and welcome! I can't say what the bike is worth, but I can say that's one hell of a rear tire you've got there. wow!
+ 1 -- Show us a better picture of that rear tire. Never seen anything like that on a Harley.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:02 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Is that a snow tire I see on the rear?...lol!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

about 7K?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:08 AM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the new scooter and welcome.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 AM
tpolstc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrates aon the new purchase and welcome, looks like all you need is a set of chains to go on that snow tire and you could ride all year..lol..couldn't resist..Front wheel looks nice..overall doesn't look too beat..show the other side...

Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
Is that a snow tire I see on the rear?...lol!
That was my first thought as well, that or one of the older block tread patterns favored by company's like Norton or BSA back in the 60's or 70's.

Fitting the wheel might be a problem as I believe that it may have come from a later model (06 up) bike setup to use a 200mm tire.
The older EVO Customs (FXSTC?), like yours appears to be (FL anything bikes do not have skinny front forks and 21" tires on them) used a wider drive belt and narrower fender. At least not stock ones anyway and Fatboys didn't come with anything but a full rear fender. Yours has the skinny FX type front end, 21" front tire and Bobtail fender that was, and still is the normal setup for a Custom.
See if you can measure the rim width or find the part number stamped into the new Fatboy wheel. I suspect that you'll find that its one of the newer 6" X 17" rims designed for a 200mm tire verses the 3" X 16" that used a 150mm or MT90 sized tire older Softails came with originally.
To get that wheel and 200mm tire under your bike is going to take a bit more work than just a set of spacers. Its going to need a kit from someone like Heartland, or a small pile of factory parts (not even sure that factory parts are avalable for it) to replace nearly everything from the tranny back.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 08-19-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just put a dirt bike tire on the front and it will match the back, lol..sorry -)