Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler which one and how much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 AM
ROCKERCLOVER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler which one and how much?

Was wondering if anyone here can recommend an oil cooler for my 2008 FATBOY, and how much do they run and are they hard to install?, i will be letting the dealer install it but want to know how expensive is it going to be?....Ivan!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the factory Harley one. It was designed for your bike and a latest test showed a twenty degree drop in temps.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:36 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I'm running the HD Oil Cooler on my Train...BTW, if you're the least bit mechanicaly inclined then the install is very easy; just make sure you have a 7/16 allen wrench for the adapter plate mount.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dies the HD one have the built in thermostat?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:39 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

The HD oil cooler works just fine. Bolts on easily. Thermostat really isnt needed with an oil cooled Twinkie considering how hot they run, as long as your oil temps remain over 170-180(to remove condensation)in the oil bag your fine.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An oil cooler is not needed. Especially if you are running synthetic oil. You are adding another point of failure to your motorcycle.

You hind-end will melt to the seat before you v-twin will stop running. These motors are designed to operate with all the temps they are given.

A good grade of oil and frequent oil changes will go farther to protect the engine.

This has been debated on the forum for years, and probably always will be. I trust that very smart people are in charge of MOCO design, and I just follow the advice of my owner's manual.

Good luck with your project.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by PoorBoy
An oil cooler is not needed. Especially if you are running synthetic oil. You are adding another point of failure to your motorcycle.

You hind-end will melt to the seat before you v-twin will stop running. These motors are designed to operate with all the temps they are given.

A good grade of oil and frequent oil changes will go farther to protect the engine.

This has been debated on the forum for years, and probably always will be. I trust that very smart people are in charge of MOCO design, and I just follow the advice of my owner's manual.

Good luck with your project.
An oil cooler is not needed, correct, but an oil cooler extends the useful LIFE of your oil per change and will extend the life of your engine a bit as well. These are 2 proven points.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:50 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

I just bought the Harley Davidson Oil Cooler today. $270.00 out the door with my MVP discount. I will be installing it over the next few days. Waiting on the 7/16 allen socket to come in at the local Grainger.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperAhcmed
An oil cooler is not needed, correct, but an oil cooler extends the useful LIFE of your oil per change and will extend the life of your engine a bit as well. These are 2 proven points.
Exactly......

Old 08-19-2008, 01:44 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RjCapp
I just bought the Harley Davidson Oil Cooler today. $270.00 out the door with my MVP discount. I will be installing it over the next few days. Waiting on the 7/16 allen socket to come in at the local Grainger.
Great.....let us know how it goes.......

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler which one and how much?