Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter bang on 96ci

Old 08-19-2008, 06:00 PM
john lockwood
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Starter bang on 96ci

I know the 'bang' from the starter on the 96ci is normal but I hate it and find I'm always having to explain it to bystanders when I start the bike.
Is there anything that can be done about it? Put the heavy-duty HD version on? Retrofit another starter?
Any help would be appreciated

Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a high torque starter and it is turning a long stroke (longer than an 88) motor. They all do it and, as far as I know, that's just the way it is.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:37 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not the starter, but in fact the compensator that makes the noise. There are several ways to stop the noise depending on Basically two things. The SE heavy comp will stop it. If you have tmax, you can drop the start timing and home position for the iac. I'm sure it can be done with Sert as well. I too got sick of people asking about it. Havn't heard it for a year now, but my solution was to shim the stock spring pack in the comp and change how it starts with the tmax. Even though it sounds like crap, the knock is relatively harmless in stock configuration.
Ron

Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 PM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been asked about it, and I just act dumb like 'What's it supposed to sound like?' It doesn't bother me and I don't see any reason to try and 'fix' it.

Big Al

Old 08-19-2008, 08:14 PM
plane
Road Captain

I've been wondering about the starter banging. Now thanks to rbabos I can tell anyone who asks that it's the warp drive compensator and if it didn't bang I wouldn't go.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:33 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it was the HEISENBURG compensator in star trek
Ron

Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't pay any attention to it any more, just normal sound to me now. I look at is as getting more "bang" for my buck.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:36 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
It's not the starter, but in fact the compensator that makes the noise. There are several ways to stop the noise depending on Basically two things. The SE heavy comp will stop it. If you have tmax, you can drop the start timing and home position for the iac. I'm sure it can be done with Sert as well. I too got sick of people asking about it. Havn't heard it for a year now, but my solution was to shim the stock spring pack in the comp and change how it starts with the tmax. Even though it sounds like crap, the knock is relatively harmless in stock configuration.
Ron
The sound doesn't bother me either but the timing adjustment doesn't sound like a bad thing to do if it helps the engine start easier. Exactly what would I need to do with my TMax? Thanks in advance for the info.
Dave

Old 08-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Newhawk
Cruiser

Just tell people to stand back or get hurt, you are getting ready to take off.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Spike_96
Cruiser

I don't hear it anymore. Not sure if I'm used to it or it just went away. I would be iterested to know if there is a SERT "fix" though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter bang on 96ci