Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 softails..compared to other model years.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2008 softails..compared to other model years.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but what's the general consensus here regarding the quality of bikes in the 2008 model year compared to previous?

I have read very few negative posts regarding 08 softails, which was one of the reasons that I purchased an 08. Now that this model year is wrapping up, i'd be curious as to how folks feel the quality measures up to previous years.

I've got 930 miles on my two week old deluxe and it is running strong.

thanks folks-

Rob

Old 08-20-2008, 11:37 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall the quality is similiar to some of the years past, but there is no question that every year HD tries to find new ways to cut corners..........2 that bug me deal with the transmission and the bottom end of the engine(namely the crank bearing).

Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
rob i
Road Master

can you elaborate?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:30 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob i
can you elaborate?

Sure can:

A. Crank bearing: they used to have a heavy duty timken crank bearing in the twin cam engines, but from 03' on up they changed to a generic roller crank bearing that doesnt hold up well to higher hp builds. If your engine is going to remain stock or your just doing a/c and muffler swap outs it wont be a big concern. But if your doing extensive engine mods then the crankshaft bearing needs to be adressed.

B. The transmission: HD went to a 6 speed "cruise drive" transmission that uses some helical cut gears to reduce noise(useless on a Harley), but the gears themselves are down a few grades, and in the first year or 2 of the cruise drive tranny there have been bearing failures due to natural side loading of helical gears. Again though, if your engine is relatively stock and you take care of your bike, there should be no issues.

Other lil things that HD has cut costs on include things like the FI injectors, springs and valves etc. Again its small little things. Non of which you should really be concerned about unless you really plan on tearing into the bike with mods. And all the issues I bring up here are fixable/correctable if your really concerned about it.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:34 PM
rob i
Road Master

thank you very much. very informative. I appreciate that you took the time to answer.

Rob