Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power differences between 2-1 pipes vs. duals

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:26 PM
FUEGO
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power differences between 2-1 pipes vs. duals

I prefer the look of dual pipes but wonder how much more power is to be had with 2 into 1 headers like the V and H 2-1 big radius? Throughout the RPM range, I mean.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The difference won't be too much, you do get a bit more on take off thank to back pressure, that's about it..

Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

From what I read, not much. Not worth thinking about with a stock motor or even a stage 1. imo - go for looks and what sounds good to you...

Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put V&H 2-1 Pro Pipes on my 02 FXDL to replace the SE-ll's (old style). Big difference in torque throughout. Especially noticable at lower RPM's where you would normally downshift.
Look here for a very biased view of the subject: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/

Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Truckbizz
Account Deactivated

I really didnt notice a big power loss difference on mine when I added the duals.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Considering going the 2 into 1 route myself with the D&D Fat Cat. Still trying to decide if I want to sacrifice a little looks for the extra performance. Although I am planning a big bore kit too at some point.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:40 AM
flst06
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the attached link. Good info on different types/brand exhaust. Not a huge difference between type and/or brand. For me it comes down to looks (what I like) and potential. Potential meaining if I decide to upgrade engine performance in the future, will I need to change my exhaust again.

Don
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust_test_02.htm

Old 08-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by WARG
Considering going the 2 into 1 route myself with the D&D Fat Cat. Still trying to decide if I want to sacrifice a little looks for the extra performance. Although I am planning a big bore kit too at some point.

I was looking hard the the FatCat too. Just couldn't justify $550 for the pipes and $300 for a tune only to gain a couple HP and some low end torque.

Personally, I actually really like the Fat Cat look. I'm getting really sick of seeing V&H everywhere, to each their own.

If I had stock pipes and were getting my first set of aftermarkets, they'd definately be 2-1, but since i've already dropped coin on pipes, I'll live with them.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been thinking about the D&D, Fat Cat, with quiet baffle, for over a year now.
My current pipes are annoyingly loud. They were put on by the original owner. Just haven't been able to convince myself that the money for the new exhaust and re-tuning is worth the expense, or the hassle. There is also the small chance that, after having the re-tune done, I will not be able to get as good a performance from the Fat Cat.
One of the things that is holding me back, is how well the bike performs now with the present setup.
I know that the Fat Cat, with quiet baffle,is still considered a loud exhaust, but it would be no where near as loud as my Rip Saws.
Tom

Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 AM
softail04
Road Master

I really don't like the looks of 2-1 but I put one on my 04 std and love the diff.
power is better top end went up and the sound is great..
guess I am stuck although my drags arae still in the rafters for later use..

Quick Reply: power differences between 2-1 pipes vs. duals