Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 ticking fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:17 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 ticking fatboy

I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Harley Davidson. I purchased a 07 Fatboy last year and noticed a ticking coming from the top of the engine. The dealer said it was the thin oid that comes in the new bike and after the 1000 mile oil change it would stop. Well after the 1000 mile oil change I still have the ticking. I now have 3500 mile on it and the ticking is as loud as the first day. I have had it back to the dealer now three times and now they are talking with Harley about taking the engine apart. As I write this it is at the dealer having the lifters checked. They said if the lifters are good I would have to live with the ticking. Anyone else having this problem? I was told that 30w 60 red line oil would help but that sounds a bit thick. I talked to a Harley machnic that said they are having a lot of oil problems with the new 96 motor.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The ticking is likely valve noise. Looking at the lifters is a likely suspect. Good thing you are documenting the problem in case it comes up as a warranty issue.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just say no to 30w60! Use the recommended weight oil. Sadly, you are now at the mercy of the dealer. If they were willing to take it apart, then there is definitely something wrong in there. It could be something as simple as a fairly minor machining error causing that motor (yours) to possibly require adjustable push rods. If the preload on the lifters is not right, it will be noisy. Next time you talk with them, try to do it in person and bring a buddy that knows HD engines to go with you. It will make it harder for them to blow so much smoke up your ***. they are pretty famous for that. Good luck

Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser

A friend of mine was in the same dealer having new tires put on his bike when the guy in front of him was telling the service writer that his bike had a ticking noise. The writer told him that he had not heard of this before. The same service writer told me the same thing. Sounds like a cover up.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock engine uses preset pushrod lengths to preload the lifter. As with anything tolerances change between motors and components. If these don't stack up correctly the lifer won't get the required preload. In this case it will be noisier when hot than cold. It could be too much end play clearance on a rocker causing this too. By the way , your dealer's an idiot because the break in oil is 20/50. Don't buy into that bs it's a Harley and it's suppose to make noise, or it's normal. It's not.
Ron

Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser

I agree with you Ron. It sound great cold but the hotter it gets the louder the ticking gets. My friends can hear it riding next to me. And this is over loud pipes. It sounds like solid lifters.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:17 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey! I said it first.......LOL......let us know what you find out.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:51 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser

Got it back today and guess what? They could not find anything wrong it. He put the service in the national register for future problems after the warranty runs out. I'm sure Harley will stand behind the problem. He said not to run 30w 60 oil. It would just cover up the problem. But if I don't have a problem what will it hurt. I guess I will ride until someone else has a better idea of getting Harley to fix the problem.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:35 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't know about the 96" engines, but the TC88 is inherently noisy. Now that probably varies a bit from bike to bike, and how well you hear it is affected by whether you have loud pipes, a windshield, etc. It has taken a while for me to get used to the engine sounds on my harley compared to my Honda. Also I've read the engines have more valve noise, etc due to the cam set up and pushrods. Metrics have overhead cams which run quieter. This is all info I have gotten on these forums so take it for what it is worth.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 PM
JoeFLHX
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine ticked before and after the 1000 mile service, but I have not noticed it lately (6K+).

I would try another dealer or call the MOCO myself.

In 82 I had a warranty issue and Barnett in EP was blowing smoke. So I called the MOCO and laid it on em. That day Barnett picked up the bike and fixed the problem, and I never had another issue or wen back again.

MOCO is much bigger and more arrogant now but I would get them on the phone.

Quick Reply: 07 ticking fatboy