Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 PM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally!

It was just chafin' my *** that I might have to take my bike in for a shock adjustment. I had tried previously but after breaking the jam nuts the studs were stuck to the plates.

I decided to try one more time and apply some heat using a pencil torch. It took awhile but they actually 'cracked' free. Now they turn real easy so I can adjust to whatever I want.

Geez, they're supposed to be user adjustable but without a lift and a custom made wrench it would be a take it in under warranty issue.

Dunno bout the rest of you guys and those softail shocks but mine were a bitch!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Getting ready to adjust the preload on my profile low lowering shocks. I'll keep you posted.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

I'm too old for that crap these days. I have some progressives to install, but I'm headin' to the stealer. My knuckles have been busted up enough over the years.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by plane
It was just chafin' my *** that I might have to take my bike in for a shock adjustment. I had tried previously but after breaking the jam nuts the studs were stuck to the plates.

I decided to try one more time and apply some heat using a pencil torch. It took awhile but they actually 'cracked' free. Now they turn real easy so I can adjust to whatever I want.

Geez, they're supposed to be user adjustable but without a lift and a custom made wrench it would be a take it in under warranty issue.

Dunno bout the rest of you guys and those softail shocks but mine were a bitch!
So lets hear it... did adjusting the shocks make any difference on the track of the bike....

Inquiring minds want to know... ;-)

Edit to enclude; Just got a call from MOCO Customer Service... Told them of the situation and they are suppose to be checking with the dealer in question... She said I might have to go to another dealer to get a second opinion... Suppose to call me back after she talks to them...

Charlie D.

Last edited by dbleagle; 08-21-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
plane
Road Captain

Well Charlie I'm sorry to report that no amount of messing with the shock spring tension had any effect on the pull to the left...

I initially thought that relaxing the left shock should have the desired effect. When I test rode the bike it 'seemed' to be better but I wasn't convinced. I reversed the settings making the right shock more relaxed and then I knew that the shocks weren't the solution because the bike felt exactly the same when releasing the bars.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

If the bike is pulling to one side there is most likely a wheel alignment problem......only got 2 wheels.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

I finally adjusted the pre-load on my shocks...it is now a stiffer ride, but I like it much better. Was "bottoming out" too much before!!

Had a hard time tightening the locknuts though...gap between the nut and frame decreased and the wrench was too thick!! I ground down the spanner wrench a bit and made it work!!