Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley's parts distribution system so lame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:08 PM
radionightster
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is Harley's parts distribution system so lame?

Hey guys,

Why is Harley's parts distribution system so slow and lame? I mean, I got to the dealer and need a part, and it's going to be a minimum of a week to get it in. And their overnight shipping is retarded expensive.

When I bring my vehicle to the dealer and it needs a part, the part always arrives within 2 days. Harley is massive and ubiquitous, with dealerships located nearly every 60-70 miles apart from each other. There's no reason they can't orchestrate a better distribution system for their parts.

Edit: This isn't an anti-Harley post. I have an '03 Night Train and it's the most amazing thing in the world, I love my bike

Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It'll be 7-10.. Can't count the times Ive heard that from them.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 PM
raaaaaa
Road Master

simple car dealers have local warehouses that store all the stuff and they all use this warehouse
local dealers do not have such warehouses and if they did they can play nice together to share a warehouse

Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Truckbizz
Account Deactivated

When this happens to me , I've actually called other dealers to find the part and had to P/U myself and run it back to them so I can get my bike sooner. I hear ya man.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 AM
waszo1262
Advanced

As an employee of a dealership I will educate you a little bit... Harley Davidson parts distribution really isn't so bad, here's how it works.
Harley dealers are independently owned, which means each dealership decides for themselves what parts to stock based usually on product sales by a simple dealer ordering system.

If a part you request is not a stock item it is generally ordered from Harley Davidson directly, in which Harley estimates 3-5 business day shipping for orders placed by 12 noon each day.

If the part you request is not in stock at HD, it will lead to longer lead times.(HD parts constantly go on backorder due to high demand)

Overnight shipping is expensive, because overnight parts orders must be placed by 3pm and are bumped ahead of previously placed orders, then shipped out from Milwaukee to your dealer ship.(If you wanna play you gotta pay or wait...)

As for dealership locations being close for parts, you must understand that these dealerships are independently owned, which means each dealership essentially competes for your business.
Now understand that we can sell parts from dealer A to dealer B. But since A is shipping an item to B, dealer A must charge B for shipping and then sell the item at cost plus %. So dealer B may have to charge the customer for shipping to cover incurred costs.

Please don't take any of this the wrong way, I'm just saying, if you shop at a quality dealer, they will do whatever it takes to ensure you intend to return for sales, service and parts. I personally take alot of pride in making my customers happy and ensuring their return, because if customers don't come to my store to shop I won't have a job.

My suggestion is to check out all your local dealers for all of your needs and determine which one is the best quality dealer. Just because its the closest dealer to you doesn't make it the best dealer for you.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:58 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can understand what waszo is saying... but...

Yeah... the dealerships are independently owned... but so is every other motorcycle and automotive dealership...

To put it simply... Harely-Davidson wants the monopoly....

They could build parts distribution centers around the country as the automotive industry does... but that would be more overhead and less in their pocket...

So they have all requests going to one location and not doubt stays overwhelmed with orders...

No real distribution system = delay in getting parts...

Thats what the problem is... You can't defend it... Well not realistically anyway...

Charlie D.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 AM
boosteddelslow
Tourer

It does suck. You can go online and get parts faster than the dealer can get them. It is the same way with the honda dealer for dirtbike parts and jetski parts. Same old story 7-10 days.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckbizz
When this happens to me , I've actually called other dealers to find the part and had to P/U myself and run it back to them so I can get my bike sooner. I hear ya man.
+1 on this comment..I usually find what I want, search around the state, and then order online for most likely cheaper and faster.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:50 AM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

OK, hold on........ (looking up "ubiquitous"). Ahhhh..... Being in the Phoenix area, there are a half dozen dealerships with 3 of them close enough for me to drive to. Usually when I'm ready to buy an accessory, I want it NOW! So I drive to each location (with my list in hand) hoping I can bring it/them home with me. Works most of the time. If I have to order, I do that at the closest one and it's usually 3-4 days. Then they say they will call when it comes in....... they never do. So I head over and ask if it's there and it always is. Don't know when they were planning to call.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:39 AM
creb
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the customer, I dont care to understand why it sucks, it's still one of the worst retail situations i've experienced from a global brand. It might be a decent way for Corporate and dealerships to work it out, but I feel i'm getting the end of the stick as a result. Corporate should figure out another system since this impression reflects back on them.

HD is lucky people are so in love with their product (like myself) that they endure this.

Quick Reply: Why is Harley's parts distribution system so lame?