Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chrome inner primary ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
palatium
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default chrome inner primary ?

hey guys im taken the inner primary off and replacing it with a chrome one, my question is do i have to remove starter or oil tank to remove it .
it has 8 bolts to remove it and we have done that but its not coming off.
the one thing that we have not done ids loosin the back tire to get pressure off the belt.
do we need to do that also?

thanks inadvance for all your input

marty

Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 PM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get ready for a big job. I've got the service manual here and getting to it is a pita. If memory serves you'll have to remove the rear tire and drop the swing arm. Pull the entire primary off obviously.

I've already decided to just bolt on a Kuryakin inner chrome cover when I get some spare change.

If you don't have their catalog get it! A chromers delight.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

DOnt waste money on those chrome false/fake "covers". All they do is promote heat and rust buildup underneath. Worthless.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 PM
CrimsonThunder
Road Captain

But they're pretty.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:36 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by CrimsonThunder
But they're pretty.
CHrome parts themselves are worthless, "Chrome covers" are even worse. Better off doing stainless steel, polished stainless steel or painted parts. CHrome though isnt durable and has countless disadvantages. If you like the "chrome" look, then go with polished parts.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:44 PM
CrimsonThunder
Road Captain

Somebody's a wet blanket. When you get us Harley guys talked out of chrome, you oughta work on World Peace. LOL!

Yes, chrome parts serve no function. Yes they must be polished. But as I said before....

....they're pretty.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by CrimsonThunder
Somebody's a wet blanket. When you get us Harley guys talked out of chrome, you oughta work on World Peace. LOL!

Yes, chrome parts serve no function. Yes they must be polished. But as I said before....

....they're pretty.
Wet blanket? I just gave the best advice here on this thread to date.

You can't "Polish" chrome. And the folks who have been around long enough know that a good polished part, looks identical to chrome, and will last alot longer, and take alot more abuse, and the beauty of a polished part is when it starts to deteriorate from the elements, it can be "repolished" and restored to its original luster. When chrome pits and lifts what do you do then? LOL.

Like I said previously, if you like the "chrome" look, go with a good quality polished part. At least you will get your money's worth out of it.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 PM
palatium
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by plane
Get ready for a big job. I've got the service manual here and getting to it is a pita. If memory serves you'll have to remove the rear tire and drop the swing arm. Pull the entire primary off obviously.

I've already decided to just bolt on a Kuryakin inner chrome cover when I get some spare change.

If you don't have their catalog get it! A chromers delight.

ive got a manual but i put it in my work truck, and ofcourse it s where? at work'
i did notice i have to remove the starter im hoping i fdont haveto remove te oil tank and swing arm, but i probably will.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 PM
savello
Intermediate

I just did the inner primary seals on my pops 01' softail and I will tell you i had the inner primary off in about 20 minutes without removing the rear wheel or the oil tank. The trick is get a good set of 3/8" extensions and a couple of 3/8" flex fittings, you might spend $30 on them but you will save alot of time. I have done this on several softails and the first one i did it the hard way(removing everthing that the manual says) the rest i have done the easy way. The hardest part is getting the rear starter bolt lined back up but it can be done .... I was in the service department the other day and saw them doing a similar service and the bike still had the rear tire and oil tank intact but the inner primary was off ....

Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Truckbizz
Account Deactivated

It looks really nice once its installed! Really cleans up the left side of the bike.