Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Distance Riding on a Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long Distance Riding on a Deuce

I will be leaving Sunday for Milwaukee (24th) riding my 04 Deuce with my slightly used Corbin Gunfighter & Lady seat with backrest. I will be solo with the exception of all my gear behind me. Recently bought this seat off of Ebay and have not had a chance to ride it anywhere. I also have a Windvest Windshield installed that works very well to block the wind/rain straight on.

Riding North, the longest day will be 335 miles, other days will be around 250. Will arrive on the 27th with a group of riders. from NW Louisiana, Texas, and Mexico. Just a series of short runs.

Returning to Louisiana I plan on putting in more miles probably around 400-450 per day. It is 1050 one way.

And my questions are: What is the longest distance you rode your Deuce solo? If you have a corbin like mine how comfortable was it? How much difference did the backrest make in comfort?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:38 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have an engine guard and highway pegs I'd get rigged up tomorrow with them. They allow you to change your butt position so you aren't forced to sit on one spot for the entire ride. Back rest is a great help.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Photobiker
Intermediate

Not sure how that seat compares to a stock seat on an 07 Train but just rode 3700K in 7 days but I had a sheep skin on the seat, that was a butt saver. Rode a couple long days 9 & 12 hours but stopped often for gas and sights, did the Road to the Sun. Really surprised at how comfortable it was.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:41 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once did 700 miles on a Sportster with NO windshield, highway pegs, etc. I did have a Corbin seat at the time. No matter the bike, it can be done. Would I do it again? Well, I can say I did it once. lol

Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master

I think you'll be OK. I had my stock seat redone with gel packs and high density foam, best $125 I ever spent on a seat. Just don't be in a huge hurry stop and get off the bike and get the blood flowing back to the *** and lower extremities as often as you can.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:14 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done 750 mile days on mine with a Mustang seat and a compact, low profile windshield- with no problems or numbness. I use my travel pack as a backrest.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgeezer
If you don't have an engine guard and highway pegs I'd get rigged up tomorrow with them. They allow you to change your butt position so you aren't forced to sit on one spot for the entire ride. Back rest is a great help.
I am with oldgeezer get you some kind of highway pegs rigged up where you can stretch your legs. Just being able to move your legs around different position makes a big difference on long trips.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:50 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

Thanks for the replys. I have a sheepskin I decided to use just in case the Corbin is not broken in yet. I have a set of Harley pegs with heel rests that are comfortable. Really don't have time to get into highway pegs before tomorrow. Average miles for the four days to Milwaukee will be about 260 with the longest day from Little Rock to Sikeston, MO 305 miles. With as many riders I will be traveling with I am sure their will be many rest/gas stops. Will take more rest stops on the way back since I will be doing longer mileage days. I am thinking that the corbin backrest will be the biggest asset on the ride. This will be the longest ride I have ever done and at my age it probably will be my last so I want to make it as painless as possible. I have some reservations about riding with a large group of riders but I understand they will be in increments of 10 bikes 15 minutes apart. By the time we hit Milwaukee on Wednesday we will probably have several hundred riders with the group (just a wild guess, could be thousands). Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited by snakeinthegrass; 08-24-2008 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:05 PM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

How'd the trip go on the Deuce? Anxious to hear about it. Been wanting to move to a big twin from my Sporty but can't quiet decide what I want to go to. Don't do many long trips like you described but if I do, I want to be sure I can do it in a little bit of comfort. I've always had an eye out for the Deuce!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:12 PM
lowperformance2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
I think you'll be OK. I had my stock seat redone with gel packs and high density foam, best $125 I ever spent on a seat. Just don't be in a huge hurry stop and get off the bike and get the blood flowing back to the *** and lower extremities as often as you can.

where did you have that done? link please..

Quick Reply: Long Distance Riding on a Deuce