Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Exhaust Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:21 PM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust Change

I built a buddies 98 Springer engine and now we are thinking about cutting the exhaust and making it into a true 1 to 1. Right now he has a crossover pipe running from his rear cylinder into the cross over and then continuing to the left side pipe right in front of the tranny.
The bikes engine is putting out around 100 hp now to the rear tire and the right side pipe sounds like a harley should but the left side sounds like a sewing machine (not really but close). He has Screamin Beagle mufflers on the Springer and what I am thinking about doing is cutting the rear pipe just below the weld at around a 45 degree angle from the jug side to the seat side, where it joins into the crossover and welding a bowed piece of metal so the air flow goes directly into the left side pipe. Then cutting the right side pipe and welding a piece of metal just above the weld at the bottom to stop upward air flow. He has fancy chrome covers over the pipes and the welds will be covered up.
My question is - has anyone done this to their bike in the past? I put a S&S Super E on the bike and I know I will have to re-tune the carb. Can anyone come up with an arguement against this? I am sure his bike will increase HP with this setup and when we get done we are going to Dyno it again and will send results along with the total set-up if anyone wants. I am trying to get him to take the Screamin Beagle mufflers off, we already have them punched out to improve exhaust flow.
Thanks and write when ya can.
ShovelheadGreg in Alabama

Old 08-23-2008, 11:25 PM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cutting Dual Crossover

Help - has anyone done this or heard of this being done? We are going to cut and weld in the morning and ANY help would be appreciated...
ShovelheadGreg