Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat height

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:57 PM
jstr1511
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat height

I am looking at buying my first Harley but at 5'4" and a 27" inseam seat height is a major issue. I like the Heritage but notice that the Deluxe has a 2 1/2" lower seat height. Are the frames different or is it possible to mod the Heritage and bring it down? Why is the Deluxe so much lower from the factory? Also is there a cruise control that will go on the Heritage? I don't mean throttle lock, I mean true cruise.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:30 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, welcome! My wife is 5'1" and rides a Heritage. We lowered the front and rear suspension and that was it. I felt it saved us money in the long run over the Deluxe considering the Heritage already had the bags and windshield and the look she wanted. She can basically flat foot it by the way.

Regarding cruise control: I found a company that makes it possible to add true cruise control. It is PRICEY!!! You have to buy the Harley cruise control AND their equipment. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was a pretty penny.

Good luck with your choice

Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

besides the lowering, consider how wide the seat is. with a narrower seat, you won't have to sread your legs as much.... that can make up an inch or so of "seat height".

Old 08-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Slick02
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5'5' here on a Heritage. When I first got it, I could stand flatfooted, but it was all I had. I didn't have problems at lights or stops, it was pulling out of parking spots and just muscling it around because I had no extra reach in my legs. I had the seat modified at Mean City Cycles and told Allen what I rode and my height... he knew what to do. Now my seat is narrower and lower and the new memory foam is 10 times better than stock. A lot cheaper than a new seat and I don't loose any clearance on the turns from lowering it. I also added floorboard extentions for better foot placement. And just replaced the "football" air cleaner cover with a round one because it was hitting my knee. It's a perfect ride now.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Both the Deluxe, and Heritage are the same frame. The Deluxe is lowered at the factory.

As for the cruise, there are two companies that I have found that make cruise for Softails. One, as mentioned above, requieres you to also buy the HD Cruise control kit for touring bikes from HD (340+ dollars) on top of thier cost of 450.00 so total is 780+ not including Installation.

Thier site is : http://www.cruisemount.com/

Other one does not have you buy the HD kit, is better hidden (no extra box sticking out on the left side) Its the one I plan to instal on the wifes Deluxe this winter. total cost is 649 for softails, other than the Deluxe. That one is 699.00

site is : http://www.customizedcycles.com/softail_cruise/

those are the only ones I have been able to find for Softails.