Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Front End Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 AM
HDChloe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer Front End Questions

I have an 08 Cross Bones and I am looking to do the front end service on it. I read in my service manual it says to do it at 500 miles, 1000 miles, 10,000 miles etc. It also says to grease it every 2500 miles. I did not know Springer front end were so labor intensive. lol

Anywho, I have a few questions:
1. Fall-away: The bearing adjustment section is not the clearest in the world. I am gonna admit I am stupid here and say I am not really sure how to do this. Any clarity offered?

2. Rocker-Bearings: I bet I have read through this section 20 times (literally). I pretty much get how to do this, but this section has steps that seem out of place. It says to tighten the bearing retainers and then tighten the jam nut. If you do this how can you possibly rotate the rigid fork pivot stud and rocker through the arc (it looks like the arc is front to back in the picture)? Wouldn't already be too tight? Any clarifty offered here?

Obviously I am not the most mechanically inclined guy in the world. I can certainly do some things (change oil, adjust cables, etc). However, I REALLY want to wrench on my own bike. Is this beyond me or am I just putting too much thought into it?

Thanks!