Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a SoftTail?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:39 AM
khenders
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why a SoftTail?

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the Softails and the Glides. Heck-I may as well ask why does H-D have both a Softail and Touring group. I'm somewhat of a new rider (3 years) and am thinking about moving up.

I'm a big guy (5'11", 290 lbs) and I've demo'ed all the groups other than the Softails:

1. Sportsters are too small. 2. Dyna's are nice - I like the Fat Bob a lot-but ..., 3. The Electra Glide Standard is great but could be overkill for my needs.

I have to be honest and say that I don't plan to do a lot of long-distance riding. I would like to take the wife around the state for a little sightseeing now and again. But I would be in state and around town most of the time. If in the future it turns into more distance stuff that would work very well for me.

My problem is I'm not sure about the basics between Glides,Dyna's and Softails.

Sorry for the dumb questions - but if you don't ask ....

Thanks,

Khenders

Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

I think you answered your own questions. You've decided on a Softail already. Based on your projected riding habits, you need a Heritage. You can load it up for occasional touring and you can strip it down (to Fatboy-like) for local cruising. JMO

Old 08-25-2008, 01:04 PM
hdrider.tx
Cruiser

Personally I think the softails have a harsher ride than the others. That being said, I'm on my 2nd FatBoy. I never changed rear shocks on the last one, this one I will before the end of the year. You weigh 100 lbs more than I do so a softtail might ride alright for you. Another thing to think about is storage. On a long day ride it would be nice to be able to bring more than what fits in your pockets. You want to buy anything on the trip where does it go? Take your wife with you odds are you're going to need some type of storage. Been there. On long day trips I use the roll bag from my T-Bag. Would definitely like a StreetGlide parked next to the FatBoy. Oh well. Good luck with your choice.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:05 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Softail...Softail... then you can strip it down and get a COOL Heartland kit.........

Old 08-25-2008, 01:15 PM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Softails have a hidden rear suspension, which makes it kinda look like an old school rigid frame. I ride mine for atleast 10k miles a year and im 6'1" and was 260lbs. I love my softail, I personally cant stand the dyna family due to the fact that the rear supension is so nasty looking (unless you have bags to cover them up).

Old 08-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the Heritage....but I'm biased....it is a great all around bike....'round town hopper and I've done 300 mile back country days too.....I'm sure if i wanted to ride from Texas to Canada I could do it but would be more comfortable on the UC....but I'm not going to Canada anytime soon.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain

Maybe I can help since I have had both a Street Glide (touring family) and 2 Softails.

The Street Glide, while a great looking bike, really is set up for touring. If you are not planning on touring I would say this bike may not be for you. However, having a CD player and a fairing to protect you from the wind is pretty great. It can cruise around town just as easy as any other bike too though.

My Heritage Softail Classic is probably the best all-around Harley. You can strip it down for bar hopping, simply take off the windshield, or leave it like it is. Me, I leave it like it comes because I dig the look. The ride is great (different than the Street Glide...not better, just different) and the looks are too. It went to Yellowstone last year (2000 miles) and rode great so it can be a "horizon hunter" too.

My other softail is a Cross Bones. I really doubt you want something like this right now, but the bike does look pretty fantastic.

In my final opinion. I think you should take a strong look at the Heritage. You say you will do mostly around-town cruising, but Harleys have a way of finding the open road.

Good luck and let us know where you land.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDChloe
.... but Harleys have a way of finding the open road.
Man, aint that the truth....my best friend lives 15 minutes away and it takes me 2 hours to get home....

Old 08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
DAVE R
4th Gear

did you ever test ride the road king its in the touring family, the handles great has bags and a windshield which in nice for weekend or long day trips. its also a little bigger then a softail which gives you a little more room.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:32 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

You are in a Softail forum, the answer will be Softail for sure.
Test ride them both and see what you like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why a SoftTail?