Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Chrome issues

So I started to remove all the reflectors off my rocker. All of them came off without a problem. when it came to the last one, of course, I got a minor, minor, minor scratch on the chrome in one of my lower forks. I'm freaking out, even though it's very minor I don't know if it's going to rust, damage the chrome etc, etc.
I'm new to the world of chrome and i was wondering if there was anything I could do to get rid of the scratch without having to re-chrome it.

thanks fellas.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:09 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't sweat it, a rock will hit the fork leg sooner or later. It won't be the last unfortunately. Of course, this is from a guy who gouged his rear fender with a screw driver, down to the bare metal, and then 10 seconds later, did it again.

I'm still recovering.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Soldierz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha, good to see that im not the only one that went to the bare metal on the rear fender with a screwdriver... just makes out bikes unique

Old 08-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by WARG
Don't sweat it, a rock will hit the fork leg sooner or later. It won't be the last unfortunately. Of course, this is from a guy who gouged his rear fender with a screw driver, down to the bare metal, and then 10 seconds later, did it again.

I'm still recovering.
your advice makes me feel a little better. The scratch is so minor that you can't even see it unless someone points it out. But you guys know as well as i do that just the fact that i know the scratch is there will drive me nutssssssssss. come on guys, there has to be a way to get this out.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:56 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by Alain
your advice makes me feel a little better. The scratch is so minor that you can't even see it unless someone points it out. But you guys know as well as i do that just the fact that i know the scratch is there will drive me nutssssssssss. come on guys, there has to be a way to get this out.
Just wait till u get a few miles/seasons on that bike and watch how quickly that chrome pits, lifts and peels. You will come to love polished and painted parts real quickly. Polished parts can look just as shiny as chrome, but are much more durable. I'll never buy another piece of chrome hardware again..........

Old 08-26-2008, 04:12 AM
hardpill
Cruiser

Are you sure you scratched through the chrome? When aluminum is chromed they use at least 4 processes. Zincate, copper, nickel, and only a very thin layer of actual chrome. The nickel actually provies the britework in "chrome". The chrome is mostly transparent with a blue tint. It is alot more money to have something rechromed because they have to remove at least the chrome topcoat. You can buy new lower sliders for cheaper I think. Are you through the copper to the aluminum? I would just keep it waxed.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hardpill
Are you sure you scratched through the chrome? When aluminum is chromed they use at least 4 processes. Zincate, copper, nickel, and only a very thin layer of actual chrome. The nickel actually provies the britework in "chrome". The chrome is mostly transparent with a blue tint. It is alot more money to have something rechromed because they have to remove at least the chrome topcoat. You can buy new lower sliders for cheaper I think. Are you through the copper to the aluminum? I would just keep it waxed.
bro, i have no idea. I can tell you that it's definitely not deep at all. I'm gonna take it to the dealer today and see what they say. I did some research on line and I read about a product called "simichrome". evidently it's pretty good at "removing" surface scratches. I'll have an update for you guys later on today.

Im not looking foward at all to hearing how much it would take for this thing to get re-chromed.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by WARG

I'm still recovering.
LOL, taking off the rear seat bolt?

Been there

MikeM

Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

think we all do this when taking the reflectors off.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's going to bother you that much then just change the Fork with a brand new one. You will never be satisfied if it really bother you...

Mike
NY

Quick Reply: Chrome issues