Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help for a NOOB.... Please....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 PM
upmm019
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a NOOB.... Please....

Hi,

I have a 1989 Harley Davidson Heritage Edition and I have a few questions...

1. is there an online site somewhere that shows the parts breakdown for this bike? I.e. Schematics, etc.....

2. Are these bikes known for having electrical issues? My turn signals do not work and I have no idea where to check to see if I can trouble shoot it myself before paying a HD dealer to work on it.

Thanks,

Kris

Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Check ebay for a service manual and an electrical service manual. Don't know if there is a site that shows the breakdowns. If you have an owners manual it might show where the fuse box is. Most likely cause is a loose or bad fuse. I think the box is located under the seat by the battery. You can get manuals on CD really cheap.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to either go to the dealer or ebay and buy yourself a HD Factory service manual, HD Factory Parts manual, and I think they also have a electrical trouble shooting manual for your year/model. Once you have the manuals in your hand you will find fixing the turn signals is a walk in the park.

If I had to guess......I would tell you to replace all four bulbs. Make sure you clean the base of each bulb, and also clean the socket with electrical contact cleaner. Then apply some dielectric grease to the base of each bulb before you install them. Now see what you got. If the bulbs aint working still, bust out the 12VDC test light, and see if your getting power to the bulb sockets, and keep working your way back until you find the problem. You may want to also check the fuse panel for a blown TS fuse or relay. Make 100% sure your battery is in good shape and double check both the pos & neg leads terminals and their connection points for tightness and make sure they connection points are also clean.

Post back with your findings, and we will try to help you along.